Chapter 39

*Thomas King's POV:

(2 days after chapter 38)

The date was April 4th. It's been almost a week since Mrs. Mizuki had passed. She had been cremated and Mr. Hada had just received her remains earlier today.

Mr. Hada and Hikari were just as devastated as they were a few days ago. Hikari stayed with Isabella, hanging in the garden section. She needed someone to be there for her. Mr. Hada was emotionally overwhelmed but still had to put his grieving aside to help escaped experi-babies and their parents into the nuclear shelter. Noah, my parents, Robin's parents, and Beval's parents helped guide them here as well.

We had abandoned everything the day of Mrs. Mizuki's death and traveled to the shelter.

Three hundred experi-babies, including their parents came, desperately trying to hide from the extermination. Those of the experi-babies whom were adults came by themselves. Most of them were present at the protest where Mrs. Mizuki was shot.

They didn't come to the shelter all at once. All were instructed not to by Mr. Hada, for it would bring unwanted attention.

Instead, over the span of a few days, bit by bit people arrived, leaving their cars and phones at home, along with their lives. Some traveled by uber, others traveled by train to get to the shelter.

The nuclear shelter was located in rural Northern California. It was deep in the forest with no concerns for human contact. It felt safe if you asked me.

"To the far left is where the bedrooms are. When you see those five doors, each will lead you to a bedroom section. There are five sections with each having eighty full-sized beds in a room" I instructed an elder. She was an African American woman with black-grayish hair. She looked pretty well for her age, which looked to be about sixty years old.

"Oh, this place is bigger than I thought it would be. I was expecting smaller for an old nuclear shelter. It resembles a mall with no windows, no upstairs or stores. It's so strange being underground like this. Thank you so kindly sugar. God bless you" she smiled in a raspy, gentle voice. Her smile suddenly faded. "My daughter tried to get rid of her son, claiming he was a danger to us all because he has super strength. When I saw that those political lies were getting to my daughter, I knew me and him had to leave. A younger friend of mine is here. He was at the town hall protest and told me about this place. I knew my grandson was no danger, I didn't believe a doggone thing this government or any politician had to say. I know my grandchild. Devon wouldn't hurt anyone. He's a good kid" the older lady ranted on.

I looked at her grandson. He was so precious. He was around five-years-old. He had dark skin and black coarse hair that was in cornrows, reaching to his shoulders. He carried a monster truck.

Instead of sharing a suitcase with his grandmother, he had his very own Spider-Man suitcase right beside him. His big eyes showed slight fear.

"It's going to be the okay little guy. You're safe now. You don't have to worry. No one is going to try to hurt you any longer" I said to the boy, crouching down as I patted his head. A little smile formed on his face.

"Come along Devon" the older lady said, rolling her suitcase along to the bedroom section.

Devon looked back and waved "bye" with the hand he was holding a monster truck with. I smiled and waved in return.

Suddenly, a thought came to my mind: where was Isabella?

I walked around, passing by crying children being carried by their parents, and relieved teens hugging their loved ones. Some elders were praying to whoever they believed in.