Chapter 3

Mingi Focus
_____________

Silence. No planes. No bombs. No explosions. Mingi didn't hear any of those for what he thought of as a day. Was it finally safe again? Would he finally be able to leave this shelter? The past few days were horrible. Stealing food got more and more difficult since there wasn't too much left anymore. A few times he almost got caught. Being able to leave the shelter would mean that he could start a 'new' life while trying to find 'The Aspiration', or to find out if it even existed. He started making plans and a to-do list in his head while he was waiting, even though he didn't even know what exactly he was waiting for. 'A weapon, food, warmer clothes, a backpack, medicine' he added to his list and began thinking about the places he might be able to get those things. The first thing that came to his mind was the mall, but he knew that most people would go there after leaving the shelter. At that point one thought came to his mind 'What if other people survived as well?'. He didn't even want to think about it since he didn't know if they would be nice and willing to help and to be helped or if they would be ready to fight for their lives. Shortly after he had decided to ignore that thought he heard a loud siren and something heavy began to move. 'Are they.. are they really opening the gate?!'. He heard voices that slowly become louder. Heavy steps, screaming children. It was really happening, he would finally be able to leave the shelter. He got up and ran towards the main floor, he was hiding his face, so no one would realize that he wasn't in the main room with everybody else. He didn't want them to know that he existed. He just joined the group of people who were  going to the exit of the shelter. He was suprised that no one saw him joining in, which made him feel relieved. He just walked with them into his new life. At some point the crowd started to almost stop moving. A few people in front of Mingi started to scream and run back into the shelter. Mingi's heart was beating way too fast. 'What is happening there? Why are they running back inside?', he wanted to find out, but he also was afraid of what was out there. One after another he put one foot forward, slowly coming closer to the gate. As soon as he saw it he started to run, he didn't want anyone to hold him back. He just ran without looking left or right, he didn't look where he was going. But when he was out of breath he finally started to slow down and began to stand completely still shortly after. His eyes widened  when he realised where he was. He was standing on a football field, but not just any, it was the one that once belonged to his school. He sunk to the ground amd buried his face in his hands. 'From now on', he thought, 'everything will be different.'