40. Trap Of Love

Colors of the Wind

"How's the birthday girl?"

I quietly step inside Elena's room, balancing the birthday cake in my right hand

I quietly step inside Elena's room, balancing the birthday cake in my right hand. The sun starts to gleam in on her face and I light the candles. I sink down on the bed and her eyelids slowly flutter open.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Elena. Happy birthday to you," I sing quietly and a bright smile forms on her face. She blows out the candles and my heart fills with happiness.

"I'm sure Caroline already has a huge birthday party planned out for me," Elena sighs out, grabbing a fork and stabbing the cake. I scoff quietly, my jaw dropping open and pull the cake away from her.

I place the cake down on the nightstand and shoot her a firm glance.

"Hey! What did the cake do to you? Fork down, woman!" I ask and she lets out a loud giggle, throwing her head back. She places the fork down and throws up her hands in defense.

"Any new leads on Stefan?" she quickly changes the subject and my stomach churns.

"You've been chasing Stefan all over the summer, Elena. I know you miss him and I do too, but when does it end?" I ask and Elena lets out a tiny scoff, taken aback by my words.

"Not until I find him. I have to find him, Samantha," Elena says with despair and I lower my head.

"I know, but today is your day. Just for one moment, please, keep him in the back of your mind. I don't want you to worry about him," I speak softly, and she presses her lips together, pondering in her mind.

"Ok, I'll try," she assures me and I nod my head, standing up from the bed. I walk out of her room and close the door behind me, pressing my back to the cold surface. 

I walk down the hallway and turn inside my room. Damon is sitting on my bed, messing around with a dog plush and my eyes slightly widen.

"Hey, how's the birthday girl?" Damon asks and my eyes meet his, sharing a meaningful gaze.

"About as good as she can be with her boyfriend running out and going on a killing spree with a hybrid," I retort firmly, and his blue orbs fill with concern.

"Alaric and I have been tracking him down, he was last seen in Tennessee. I was thinking we can check it tomorrow," Damon suggests and I walk over to my bed as he sits on the edge. 

"Sure," I nod my head in agreement. 

"Do you remember what you told me when I was on my deathbed?" Damon questions and I snap my head towards him, the heat rising up in my face.

"That was months ago," I clear my throat, avoiding his gaze. He stands up from the bed and marches over to me, his hands gently cupping my cheeks. My heart pounds against my chest and I search in his eyes for an answer.

I open my mouth to say something, but he pulls my face towards his. Damon eagerly presses his lips against mine, our lips fitting together like a puzzle piece. My body jolts and I close my eyes, falling into a trance. My hands find their way to his wrists and I grip onto them tightly, my legs feeling like noodles.

Suddenly he pulls away from me and I slowly open my eyes, meeting his. "Do you remember now?" Damon whispers, his lips grazing mine. I lean forward and nod my head, my pulse quickening.

"Hey Sam, do you know where-" Alaric's voice blares in my eardrums and I jump away from Damon, glancing back at Alaric standing in the doorway. His jaw hangs open and he glances away nervously.

The heat rises in my cheeks and I hang my head lower. "Hey Ric," Damon chuckles out awkwardly and I glare back at him.

"You know what? I think I'll go find it myself," he trails off, quickly walking away.

"I think I should head back home. We'll discuss later," Damon clears his throat, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Good idea," I hum out, staring at the ground. The cold wind breezes against my skin, creating goosebumps along my arms and I glance up. The curtains of my window blow in the wind and I bring my fingertips up to my burning lips.