•1•

Millie's POV -
I woke up to the blaring of my alarm, signaling that hell has come to Hawkins, Indiana. It was the first day of junior year, meaning the whole grade will act like they're the coolest, when everyone knows they're just arrogant assholes. I rolled out of bed swearing as much and as loud as I want, it's not like I have parents to yell at me for it. After complaining to no one in particular about how much this year is going to suck, I finally got in the shower, knowing there's nothing I can do to get out of school, it's what my mom would have wanted. My parents died on a flight home from one of the many business trips they went on.

I try not to think about them too much, given the fact that they rarely ever came to see me anyways, and it's not like they really remembered they had a daughter, or else they probably would have thought to pick up the phone and call her every once and a while. But it's whatever. I can't be mad at them anymore, they're dead now.

After showering, I walked out into my bedroom wearing my robe, with a towel in my hair, and saw that outside my window, my neighbor was waving through the window next door. I opened my window and said hi to Sadie, my neighbor, and sat at my desk to put on makeup. Sadie has been my neighbor and my best friend since I moved here 5 years ago from the U.K. We started this tradition when we first became friends that every morning as we got ready, we'd open our windows and talk to each other to pass the time.

We never missed a day... even when my parents died. She's been there for me since the start. Since my parents died and I'm already 16, old enough, apparently by the judge, to take care of myself. So the company my parents worked for put money into an account every 2 weeks that pay the house's mortgage, and pay for my food bills, car bills, you get it.

I know what you're thinking. I must love living alone, everything is basically free. Well that's not always the case. I do like to live alone sometimes because I throw amazing parties and I can have whoever I want over whenever it's convenient for me. But I get really lonely. A lot. I've developed depression over the last year and I've got no one to see it or try to help me. Sadie tries to understand me, but I know she can't. It's not her fault, though. She's not responsible for me.

I play volleyball and I cheerlead. I'm what you would call... popular, but not that high in the ranking. I'm the volleyball captain, but I'm the Vice President of the cheerleading team. The girl in charge of that would be Iris Apatow. We had been friends since I got to Hawkins, but she became a bitch and eventually started sleeping with every guy in school. Or those that she could get her hands on.

There were a few that she couldn't, though. The rebels. They were the hottest guys in school and had every girl falling at their feet. But not me, Sadie, and our other friends Maddie and Grace. We were definitely the preppy type, and in this school, preppy and rebel doesn't mix, so we stayed away from each other.

But anyways, back to present time. Sadie and I had been talking for the rest of the morning, and eventually, we both walked out of our houses and got into our cars. Before my parents died, they bought me a white Range Rover. Even though I was only 15, they said I'd be able to use it as soon as I was 16, and that they were too excited to not get it for me.

When I get really deep into my thoughts, I think that they knew they were going to die. Getting me a car literally the day before you go on a business trip that I already knew about, saying you couldn't wait when obviously you could have? But then I always call myself crazy and snap back into reality, which I always have had a problem with.

I start my 10 minute drive to school, my car blaring Red Hot Chili Peppers. When I finally drove into the parking lot of this god-forsaken place, I was luckily greeted by my three sunshines, Maddie, Grace and Sadie. We started to walk into school, me leading the way, when we walked by the rebel group. The group consisted of Finn Wolfhard, Caleb McLaughlin, Gaten Matarazzo, and Noah Schnapp.

I always try to be nice to everybody, so I always shoot their group a soft smile while walking past them, but receiving emotionless faces from all of them. I've always wondered if it was just some tough persona they were putting on, but I've always had my own business to deal with, I don't need to solve their problems. I've also never come into real contact with them before, just a distant walk-by each morning.

Me and my girls continued to walk by, and we did our four-way handshake before going our separate ways. I had early cheer practice because of the pep rally today, Maddie had early dance team practice, also because of the pep rally, Grace has choir meetings every morning because she's president of the class, and Sadie had to go on her morning run because she has a cross country meet after school today. Sadie is head of the athletics department because she's played every sport I can think of and is the best runner in the whole school.

The football team at our school has its MVP little group, which contains, you guessed it, the rebel group. The captain including Hawkins' one and only Finn Wolfhard leading the team to victory every game. Each of the cheerleaders are assigned a football player to "introduce" which is basically doing our best tumbling tricks. Iris, for as long as I can remember, has introduced Finn Wolfhard, and I've been assigned to Romeo Beckham.

•An hour later•

"No, Millie! I already told you, it's pom-poms up for 2 beats and then hip roll! You are so unreliable to this team, you're too busy with volleyball! Is it time to get a new Vice President?!" Iris screamed out of frustration at me. I've been practicing this dance for a month straight, I didn't even miss the beat, she's just angry at me out of pure entertainment. I wasn't in the mood to argue today, I was just too upset, once again pain caused by my parents.

"I'm sorry, Iris. I'll get it right, I promise I will." She just respondes with a smirk and "good" before continuing to make us work until we collapse out of pure exhaustion. After another 30 minutes, she finally freed us, at least until the pep rally in a few hours. But for now, I have to go learn things. It made me mentally gag.

After redoing my hair and fixing my uniform, I took out my black liquid eyeliner and wrote the number 12 on my cheek. It was tradition for the cheerleaders to write their player's number on their cheek. After that, I walked off to first period, English with Ms. Dyer.