27

"Mills?" I hear a faint and distant voice coming from down the hallway, and then footsteps. I lifted my head to see a bouncy head of curls headed towards me. I couldn't be near him, but at the same time, I couldn't be away from him. It's impossible.

| Finn's POV |

I turn my head to see Millie stand up, wobbling like she barely has control over her legs, looking like she's yelling at our friends - well, her friends. Then I see the girls stand up to help her, but then she yelled again and they sat. She stormed away; I could see the tears rolling down her face, and I ran after her.

"Mills?" I asked when I saw her sitting against the lockers with her head in her hands. She looked up at me and for a brief moment, she looked relieved. But then she realized and the distress came back to her face. I went and sat next to her. "Millie, what's wrong?"

"I... I can't be with you, but I can't stay away from you, I just can't. How do I fix this?" She said, turning to face me, I did the same. "I just - I want to listen to my heart, but it usually acts on emotion and my friends are the ones with the ideas. So do I listen to myself or do I listen to them?" She asked, wiping her tears with her hands and sniffling.

"Well, Mills, who told you to let me in your house and life? Who told you to say yes when I asked you to be my girlfriend? Who has called the shots? Who runs your life, you or your friends?" I asked, reasoning with her that her friends don't run her life.

"Me, I do. You're right, but why can't I bring myself to do anything about it?" She asked with a stressful sigh which I chuckled at.

"You've always been stubborn, Mills, you know that. But take your time, figure out what you really want. And in the meantime, listen to what your friends have to say, you decide if they're right or wrong, not them deciding if you are. Ok?" I asked, putting my hand over hers, a shiver running up my spine. She turned her head to me as if she felt the same thing. I smiled softly, getting up and helping her up in the process.

"When did you get to be so wise, Wolfhard?" She asked in a joking manner, and I smiled.

"When I started learning from the best," I said winking at her, earning a blush in return. The love was still there, I felt it. But at the same time it felt like we were starting from square one. All of the low key flirting and little sparks here and there. It was like we were falling in love all over again, even though we knew we already were.

"So, when do you think you're going to-" Millie was cut off by the entire group yelling from down the hallway. She rolled her eyes as we both looked to the commotion.

"Millie Bobby Brown, did we not just talk about this?" Sadie started, but Millie stopped her.

"Who are you, my mom?! No, because she's dead. I've made my own decisions for the last year, and I don't all of a sudden need you because I'm in a relationship. I will figure it out myself, and if you really cared about me, you'd trust my judgement. Remember my idea about these guys in the first place? You guys never listen to me, but I always end up being right. Why can't you just listen to me?!" She said, standing in front of me. I looked at all of them and then her, and couldn't hold back a smile.

"Ya, well this one we're actually right about! How do we know if he's actually been treating you right. What if he's been abusing you behind our backs and you're too afraid to come out about it?!" Maddie said with no evidence behind her reason. Gaten put an arm around her shoulder and pulled her back. I stepped in front of Millie this time because I had heard enough.

"Now that's just-" I stopped myself because of how loud I was being. I can tell why they think I abused her, but I didn't, and now they're just making up rumors to cause more trouble in my life. "I know what you're thinking, Maddie. And it makes a lot of sense. I'm the meanest one here, I usually keep to myself, I have almost beat up a guy in front of all of you. I guess the reason is that it's how I've been raised. I know it's not an excuse, but my dad had taught me that fighting people kept others away from finding out about you. 'You show them they're nothing, and they won't come close to finding out your secrets.' Ya, he's told me that since I was 6, and I got in my first fight. I don't have a great track record, but after my brother died, the only person I had ever loved, I lost myself. Until I found Millie... I realized I could love again. I could never, ever, lay a finger on her. She's the only thing that has meant anything to me. So I'm sorry if you think I could do such terrible things, because that's all I ever showed you. I just... I can't do it anymore. I can't continue arguing and fighting with you guys to show you that I'm not who you think. So, I'll stay away... for good this time," I told all of them, keeping my tears at bay.