Chapter Sixteen: Reckless Murderer

Warnings: Abusive actions and violence/gore occur in this chapter

His son was gone.

War was about to be declared on the Kingdom of Dragons, and his son was gone.

Endeavor paced through the hall, a finger curled up on his chin, and his long robes dragging behind him. His other children all sat at the dining table, but there wasn't any food placed across them. The only sound in the room was their father's footsteps and the flickering fire in the fireplace. Even the sunlight, which was flowing in through the stained glass windows, wasn't bright enough to lift the spirits in the room.

Fuyumi stared down at the table, hands placed neatly on her lap. One leg was folded on the other from under her dress.

Anything could happen right now except for one thing: King Endeavor finding out where the prince ran too.

Fuyumi herself didn't have a clue, but she knew that this wouldn't end until her father got an answer.

She didn't even glance at her brother, who was sitting in a different chair beside her. He was staring at the table instead of his father. An eerie, empty feeling replaced any joy that was in the dining hall before.

"Do you know why you both are here?" their father spoke, breaking the silence.

Fuyumi flinched at the sound. "No... sir." Her brother mumbled the same response.

The king turned his head to his children. "Look at the table. How many chairs are there?"

"Four, sir," another responded. Fuyumi recognized him as her brother, Natsuo. She managed to sneak a peek in through the corner of her eye, and she could see him glaring at his curled up fists. His white hair was spiked up, similar to the anger he was containing.

"There are four chairs, but only two of you," Endeavor continued. "Where are the other two?"

Fuyumi questioned why he was lecturing them on this. "Toya ran away," she answered.

"... and Shoto?"

Fuyumi bit the inside of her cheek. She fiddled her sweaty hands together, waiting for something, anything to happen. She didn't want to answer. She couldn't.

Her brother caught the hint. "We don't kno-"

Suddenly, Endeavor slammed his hands on the table. Fuyumi flinched at the sudden sound, clenching her fists on her dress. She couldn't remember the last time her father brought this reaction out of her.

"Don't tell me that!" the king bellowed. "You know where my successor is, I can tell! You're both so quiet in your chairs. Think you can hide it forever?"

Fuyumi dared to look up. "Sir, we don't know where Shoto ran. It's the same with Toya."

The king scoffed at the second name. "Don't mention him. He is no son of mine... running away like that... and..." He turned to glare at the princess, "You concluded that he ran away? We don't know exactly what happened with him."