eight.

Getting into bed tonight has a sense of relief attached to it. This past week I've been on edge, thinking that Lash was going to come back for me and I wouldn't get so lucky this time. I slept in Bucky's room for a few nights, but once the floor in mine was fixed I decided to come back. Not because I don't like sleeping next to him, but I didn't want to really give the team more to talk about then they already have.

But tonight is different. Because he's in custody and not on a heart stealing rampage. And although we're still trying to figure out who the mastermind is, I think I'll be able to sleep better knowing he's trapped in a box.

There's a light knock on my door, making my brows furrow. I get out of bed, rolling the waistband of my baggy sweats as I walk towards the door.

I shouldn't be surprised when I see Buck standing there, sweatpants covering his own legs with a black tank top and his hair back in his sleep-time messy bun, but I am.

I let out a sigh, already knowing what he's going to say. I step to the side so he can walk in, which he does with his head down.

"Look," He starts, turning back to me, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult you. I was just worried about your safety. All of this went way out of hand and I-"

"I get you were worried, Bucky," I interrupt him, "But you can't just say that I'm not going on a mission. You don't have a say in that. Why do you think I'm here? You want me to be locked up in this Tower like Rapunzel?"

"That's not what I meant!" he groans, "Why are you being so stubborn? The man literally wanted you dead. He didn't care about anyone else, he wanted to kill you."

"And look!" I hold my arms out, "I'm alive, aren't I?"

"Yeah, and I'm really glad you are, Ade," he puts his head in his hand, "I just wanted to protect you."

"Protecting is different than limiting," I point out, lowering my voice, "I appreciate your worry, I really do. But isn't that what this is? Why we're here? To fight?"

"I know," he sighs, stepping closer to me. He takes my hand in his, playing with my fingers, "I just- I just really care about you."

A smile comes to my lips instantly, "Lil' 'ol me?"

He rolls his eyes, "Shut up."

He pulls on my arm, pulling me into his chest. He wraps his arms around my neck, digging his face into my shoulder, something he does alot, as I wrap my arms around his waist, my cheek against his chest.

"I'm sorry, Ade," He repeats quietly. "I don't want you to be upset with me."

"I'm not upset with you," I mumble, "I'm sorry, too. I know I can be a little stubborn sometimes."

"Just a little," he jokes, which makes me roll my eyes. He shifts slightly and presses his lips to the top of my head.

I let out a sigh of relief, holding onto him tighter. "You know, I wouldn't be opposed to you sleeping in a room that's not yours."

His chest vibrates with a laugh, not letting go of me as he speaks, "I mean I could see if Steve wants a roommate for the night, but I don't think-"

I push away from him, giving him a little shove as I do. He laughs, catching a grip on my wrist as I move further from him, "Come on. Lets go to bed."

-*-

"Maybe it's someone we've seen before," Bruce offers, "It would make sense. They may have some kind of vengeance against us."