• two •

AVERY

"Hyejin-ah."

"Ya."

"Hyejinnnnn-aaaaah."

"Jagiya?"

"YA!"

"YA KIM HYEJIN!!!"

She's at it again. What does she want?

I turned to my right so my back is facing her. It's Sunday, for pete's sake. I wake up late on Sundays. "What do you want?" I groaned.

She didn't respond, and I felt her get up from my bed. It's a good thing she decided to leave me alone, she knows I'm not a morning person.

"Saeng-il chukha hamnida..."

Wait.

Today.

It's today.

My birthday.

How can I forget?!

I got up from bed quickly and I saw them there, standing before me, holding a pink cake with small ponies in it. I looked at them, and they're all smiles, they're very happy. They never missed one of my birthdays. Even if I forgot my own birthday, they never did. I... love them so much.

"Hyejin-ah..." Madame Grace approached, and hugged me. "Don't cry, it's okay."

"Ye! She right! It's oki. We... we party!!! Now! Saeng-il party. Saeng-il party!!!" Haesoo started making small dances with the cake...

and it fell down on the floor. All of it.

Sometimes she's just dumb. Haesoo has been my friend since day one. When I first came here in the orphanage, no one wanted to play with me. Because I was different. The other kids couldn't understand English, and I couldn't understand Korean too.  Haesoo, she's the only one who made the effort to be friends with me. Throughout the years, I've learned more and more words, but my Korean is still a bit lacking.

Madame Grace is a Mexican woman who volunteered to run this orphanage. She's working with two other korean ladies who are both grumpy. Madame Grace is nothing like them. She's nice, pretty, generous, and warm towards everyone. She speaks English, Spanish, Japanese, and Korean. She's amazing right? I loved her more and more through the years, that she's a Mother to me now.

"Hyejin-ah. You're 18 now, but still, no boyfriend ok? Guys, no no." Haesoo said, licking icing from her fingers.

"Boyfriend? Psh, as if," I replied while trying to get a handful of cake from the floor. Eating cake from the floor is actually fun.

"Why not Haesoo? Let her have fun with boys. If she can't, how can she use my gift?" Madame Grace grabbed something from behind her, and it was a small, rectangular box. I grinned as she gave it to me.

"You don't have to..." I stuttered.

"Go ahead, open it!" Madame Grace said as she clapped her hands out of excitement. I opened the box, and there was make up inside. Different kinds of brushes, eyeshadow palettes, blush, foundation, and others. I looked up at her, wide-eyed. "I saw you freaking out over those things on Shopping TV. So I knew I had to get them for you." She said. I couldn't hold back my tears, anymore so I started crying. But this time, it was tears of joy.

"Ya, Kim Hyejin! Wae... Aniya.. why?? Why are you crying?"Haesoo moved over to me and wrapped her hands around my shoulders. Madame Grace started laughing. "Is this your first time receiving a gift?" I nodded. "Why? Your parents... your family, they never gave you a gift back then?" I stopped crying and stared at her. I saw Madame Grace give Haesoo a light kick in her foot. Haesoo must've realized what she said, because she looked shocked.