• nineteen •

JU-WAN

I couldn't take her face off my mind.

I know her.

I know it's her.

I can see Emily's eyes in her.

I know she's Avery. She's that kid.

Now I get why Yoongi asked me the other day.

"... when I asked you to look for Avery, were you able to find her?"

The question is, how was she able to find Jungkook?

Or did Jungkook find her?

"Madame Grace," I said over the phone. I heard the lady cough.

"M-mr. Jeon?"

"I... thank you." I sighed as I said these words.

"For what sir? Why did you..."

"Thank you for taking care of Avery. Thank you so much." I said.

"Oh.." she said. There was a long silence. Then I heard her sniff. She's crying. "Taking care of her... was the best thing that ever happened to me. I should be thanking you, for bringing her to me. For bringing her into my life."

"Your job is done, Grace."

After a few more words, I ended the call.

— flashback —

"Dad, please do something, please look for Berry! Please Dad, please!" He cried harder, pulling on my pants. I looked down on him as he cried his heart out on the floor... and it broke me to a thousand pieces.

I left him there, and went to my office.

When I saw Emily's name on the television, I tried to hold back my tears as much as possible. But inside, I'm dying.

She's gone. Forever.

When I heard she got married to my bestfriend, James, I told myself the same thing. That my first love is gone, that I'll never be with her.

But this time around, it hurts more. She's gone, I'll never even see her again, never see her smile, never hear her voice again. My bestfriend is gone too.

I couldn't stop the tears from falling, so I let myself cry. This hurts more than anything than in this world, losing two important people at once. I sat on my chair and ran my hands through my hair, letting myself cry, letting it all out. Then I suddenly remembered.

Avery.

She's not dead, she's missing.

I grabbed my phone immediately and dialed a phone number. Good thing he immediately answered.

"Henry, I have a job for you. I need you to find someone for me. Asap."

I sent him the details and we were able to make a deal. Avery is what's left, maybe I could still save her.

"Dad," Yoongi stood by my doorframe, staring at me. "Are you okay?"

I nodded and wiped my tears.

"Please," he started as he approached me on my table. "Look for Avery. Please, Dad."

I hugged Yoongi closer to me. "I will. We'll find her."

~ ••• ~

It was 2 am, and it was raining outside. I ran down my stairs and opened the front door. Two cars parked inside my house and I knew it's them. Henry walked out of one of the cars, and he nodded at me. I immediately gave him the envelope of all the money he asked for.