• twenty •

AVERY

I took tissues from the counter, then sat on a chosen table. I took the manual from my bag and started reading. I'm almost finishing it, and it's actually helpful. I was able to understand a lot of things about the company and I suddenly thought, how was Jungkook able to handle this huge business through the years? It must've been so stressful.

"Unnie!" Someone tapped my shoulder and when I turned around, it was Mina. She's wearing her school uniform, her hair tied in a messy bun. She's carrying tons of books and her laptop.

"Hi!" I greeted. I offered her the seat across mine, since I'm sitting alone in my table.

"How are you? I haven't seen you for days!" She said.

"Well, I haven't been coming here for days since it's really busy for me." I replied. I noticed a bruise on her left arm. Then I realized, she has several other bruises on the side of her neck, and on her other arm. "What happened to that?"

"Uh," she suddenly flinched when I tried to touch one of her bruises. "I ran to a door, nothing big."

"Oh, okay." I wanted to ask more, because I can feel that she's lying. The smile she has since earlier faded. She looked... nervous. "How's school?"

"It's uh, it's good. Been busy too." She replied as she opened her laptop.

She hasn't spoken after that. She just continued to type on her laptop quietly while I waited for my coffee. After a few minutes, my name was called.

"Hey, I need to go, my coffee's ready," I said as I stood up.

"Unnie..." She started. "I can tell you anything, right?"

"Of course." I smiled at her. I have a feeling that she wanted to tell me something, but she couldn't. I wanted to stay, ask her is she wanted to talk about it, but I don't have time. "You can tell me anything. Is there... something wrong?"

She giggled and smiled widely. "Nothing, Unnie. Go get your coffee! Your boss might be mad at you if you're late."

I picked up the cups of coffee I ordered: three venti lattes for me, Jungkook, and Yoongi. When I got back inside the building, I saw lots of employees walk out in groups. But I noticed that they don't have IDs, so they must be the newly hired ones I'm supposed to be supervising in a few days. I came to think of it, I have a job, but I never experienced formally applying for one. I wonder what it feels like. 

"Morning," I said as I put the coffee on top of Jungkook's table.

"Good morning." He responded. "Do we have anything scheduled this morning?"

I rushed to pick up my iPad and scrolled through today's schedule. "Nope. No meetings, no documents to sign, no shenanigans, nothing to worry about. This is for the whole day, actually. Marzia pretty much took care of everything yesterday."

"Okay. Thank you."

"You feel rested, right?" I said.

"Yes."

"You feel great, right?"

"Yes."

"You should be thanking me, right?"

I didn't get a response with that.

"You're thankful that you listened to me, right?"

"Fine." He finally said. "No need to rub it in my face."

I laughed as he took a sip of his coffee. On the table, I heard my phone as it received a text. I picked it up and read what it says.

700,000 has been transferred to your account.