• five •

AVERY

I kept on fiddling with the strawberry pendant of my necklace. I've had this since I was a kid, I guess this was from my parents.

I looked out the windows and noticed that it's getting dark now. I stared at my watch, 8:14 pm.

This is the fourth bus I rode today. After running from the foster house, and passing by a few blocks, I got out into the streets and I saw a bus pass by, so I got in. I didn't have a card like what other people used, so I just used my money to pay. I don't know where the buses are going, I don't know where I'm going too. After getting off one bus, I'd walk for a bit and when I see another one, I'd just get in.

I hugged my bag closer to me, and I felt tears coming.

What am I going to do now? Where am I gonna go now? I'm scared, and I have no idea what I've done. I'm so dumb. Why did I even run away?

More and more people are getting off the bus. I'm really really really scared.

When the last person besides me on the bus stood up to get off, I just followed her and got off too. I sat on the waiting shed, watching people pass by. I rummaged through my bag to look for my wallet. But I can't seem to find it.

Oh my God.

Why is this happening to me?

I kept on looking but I really can't find it. I must've dropped it on one of the buses, or worse, on places where I got off from the buses I rode today. Wherever it is, I don't have it now, and I'm doomed. I covered my face with my hands and started to cry. Really really hard, and loud. When I wiped my tears, I can see people looking at me as they passed by. I stood up and left the shed to stop gaining attention. After walking for a bit, I saw a small stall selling street food. I recognize one of them: tteokbokki. Madame Grace used to buy them for me and the girls. It's my favorite.

I walked to the stall, but I forgot, I lost my wallet. I sighed to myself and touched my stomach, then I realized that I haven't eaten anything yet today. Wow, I really fucked up. I have no place to stay, no money to spend, and no food to eat. I only have... clothes.

I continued to walk, and I came across an empty park. I stared up at the sky, and felt water droplets falling. Great.

I looked for waiting sheds, but there aren't any. The rain started to pour, so I just used my bag to cover my head. I continued to walk, and suddenly felt as if someone was following me. I looked behind me, and there's a man walking close behind me. But I couldn't see his face. His hands are tucked in the pockets of his black jacket, and his face is covered by his cap. His head is slightly bowed down. I turned on the next corner I saw, and he did too. When I crossed to the other side of the road, he followed. I started to get nervous and hugged my bag. Please please please don't make things worse for me, please.

It's raining hard now, so I walked faster, but I can still hear his footsteps behind me, faster like mine. I turned to look at him, and I can see his smirk despite the darkness. I started running out of fear, my heart is beating fast now, because he's running now too, chasing me. I ran, and ran, and ran, but he's not stopping. Tears are coming again, I'm scared, and my legs are becoming weaker from too much running.

I looked behind me, and he's still running. I ran and tried to cross the street again, but I was running too fast, that I didn't bother to look. A really fast car is coming, and when I noticed, it was a little too late.

SSSCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!

~~~