Back to the Beginning Again

A/N: Epilogue! Also please don't check the math on ages, I just took a guess.

20 Years Later....

It was around midday by the time all five dragons ended up at the cave. It had been decades since they'd seen it last, and none of them were particularly glad to be standing before it again, but here they were.

Clay, Tsunami, Glory, Starflight, and Sunny. The Dragonets of Destiny and yet dragonets no more- in fact, they were well into their 80's. But no matter how much time had past, none of them had forgotten the little cave they had grown up in.

They were only here today because, after so many stubborn years, Webs had finally died. The only one of their guardians to die peacefully. 

The dragonets of destiny thought it was only right to honor Webs by returning to their former home. They were quiet until they walked inside, smiling fondly at the place.

"....It's a lot smaller than I remember it." Clay commented.

"Well, we were a lot smaller when we lived here," Glory replied.

"Not true," Tsunami said. "Sunny's still the same size." That one earned her a shove from the Sandwing hybrid as the others laughed.

"Do you think there are any scrolls left in here?" Starflight asked, practically bouncing on his talons at the thought of finding old scrolls.

"Go look, you know you want to." Glory rolled her eyes and Starflight took off towards the library, none of them having forgotten the exact layout of the cave. Tsunami poked at the small river and made a face.

"I can't believe I ever considered this a full river- it's just a puddle that moves."

"And I bet it's still FREEZING." Sunny said. 

"I liked it cold!"

"Well nobody else did!"

"I think the weird thing is that there was a time when we could both fit through that little opening." Clay commented.

"You mean I could fit. You got stuck a couple times."

"I had an extra cow, and that's it!"

"I love how you still remember that you blamed it on an extra cow."

"I never forget any time I got extra food." Clay proclaimed. 

"So how's everything going in the rainforest?" Sunny asked. "Must be busy with a new set of dragonets running around."

"Oh, you have no idea," Glory grinned. "Raven and Wren just adopted a pair of orphaned Rainwing twins, so they're already fitting right in with the chaos. Not to mention Rosella and Parch chose the worst possible week to visit." Sunny smiled deviously.

"I may have told them that the forest was extra busy this week, so naturally they saw that as a perfect visiting opportunity."

"Then "I blame YOU for the fact that Daisy got herself named Dragonet Queen of the forest and, last I saw, was being paraded around on some random dragonet's shoulders." Sunny shrugged.

"What can I say? The girl's got charm."

"Yeah, but Aria and Russet's son keeps trailing behind them and attempting to get the dragons obsessed with Daisy to join his dragonet star worshiping cult or something."

"I can't be blamed for what Newt does. That's your side of the family."

"Not true. It started with Ander, and I say she got those genes from Tsunami's side of the family."

"As if!" Tsunami objected. "Star worshiping is totally something that would happen in the Nightwings, so it's completely Deathbringer's fault."

"...Okay, I can agree to that."

"Exactly.... Are you going to Prism and Aspen's wedding next week?"

"As if I would miss that. Kinkajou would kill me if I did."

"It's going to be fun. Clay! Are you going to the wedding?"

"No," Clay frowned. "Fawn is getting crowned the Mudwing Queen that day, so I'm going there instead so I can see her."

"I still find it ironic," Starflight started, coming back with a rough looking scroll. "That all the years we were in here, Tsunami went on and on about being royalty, but now Sunny's a Princess, Glory is a former Queen, and Clay's great granddaughter is Queen of the Mudwings. What happened, Tsunami?"

"Hey, my little sister is Queen, and I'm an ex-princess! That still counts!" She objected.

"How is Auklet?" Sunny asked.

"Still paranoid that either Coral or Orca is going to rise from the grave to kill her daughter before she hatches, but Cliff is doing a good job of calming her down about that."

"They're such a good pair," Sunny sighed happily. "Everyone is so happy together, my life is complete."

"Oh, I've been meaning to ask- how's Qibli?" Glory questioned. "Joy kept nagging me to ask you since she hasn't heard from him in a while."

"He's great," Sunny said. "In fact, Aurora is staying with him right now. She said she wanted to learn more about her grandfathers since she sees Moon all the time, but she has hardly ever seen Qibli or Winter. I think he likes that she's visiting."

"Or maybe learning about her family is just a front for looking for a boyfriend."

"Unlikely. Last I heard Aurora was happy being single."

"Last I heard, she and Fen were writing each other quite often." Clay offered.

"WHAT?" Sunny demanded, a fangirl unleashed at the prospect of a potential new ship. 

"We can keep adding to your fangirl happiness if you want," Glory said.

"Please do!"

"Okay... I'm pretty positive Teal and Sage are going to destroy the whole forest with their arguing, although they keep saying they're just debating each other. They still don't want dragonets, but I think that's just because they'd have to stop debating everything if they had one."

"They are so stubborn it hurts," Sunny declared.

"I know. Pax and Mora seem happy though, so there's something."

"I can't wait to see them," Clay insisted. "I haven't seen their dragonets since Flora and Moss were newly hatched. They were so tiny and adorable then, but Squelch tells me that now they're bigger and little heathens."

"I think loving trouble must run in the family," Glory commented. "Mako and Wisteria are doing good as well. Their son just turned one a couple days ago- Joy and Orange hired a couple Rainwings to help them provide entertainment, although the Rainwings didn't realize that the entertainment would be Joy and Orange beating them up."

"Good old fighting entertainment," Tsunami sighed. "You better watch out, Glory, before Joy creates a fighting arena like Scarlet had." They all shuddered at the memory. 

"Speaking of Scarlet's arena," Starflight began. "Anybody else ready to leave the dark cave and get started?" 

"If it involves going back into the sunlight, I'm definitely in." Sunny declared.

So the Dragonets took once last look around the cave of their childhood before heading out and taking to the skies. Since all of their guardians were gone now, they thought a good way to honor them (despite how awful they had been) was to fly through their journey together once more, just the five of them.

From the Skywing Palace to the Mudwing swamps.

From the Seawing Palace to the rainforest.

To the Ice Kingdom's edge, back to the forest, and a brief trip to the Nightwing island.

To the front of the Sandwing Stronghold, and finally landing on the top of Jade Mountain.

Because history had a habit of repeating itself, and the Dragonets could think of no better way to end their guardian's story than by going back to the beginning again.