Chapter : 3

Misha's Pov :

"No, he isn't the same Varun. I must have misunderstood or misheard what Mom said," I thought, desperately trying to make sense of the situation. Confusion hung in the air, and I struggled to reconcile the image in my mind with the reality unfolding.

"Mishu, what happened?" Mom's concerned voice broke through my internal turmoil, bringing me back to the present.

"What did you say? What is his name?"

"Varun, Varun Jaisinghani," Mom repeated, her words echoing in my mind. Doubt lingered but there was a part of me that feared it might be true.

"Do you know him? Wait, I will show his picture." Mom moved to take her phone, causing my anticipation to grow. The seconds ticked by, each one heightening the uncertainty, my heartbeat echoing an anxious rhythm.

"See, here it is," she said, handing me the phone. With trembling hands, I took it, the weight of the moment pressing down on me. Before looking at the picture, I hesitated, my mind raced through a multitude of emotions.

After mustering the courage, I finally glanced at the screen. The shock hit me like a tidal wave. It was indeed the man I had always loved! He was the same Varun I admired from afar, and the revelation sent shivers down my spine. Questions flooded my mind: How is this possible? Isn't he already married? The pieces of my once certain world seemed to crumble, leaving me grappling with a reality I hadn't anticipated.

"He is handsome, isn't he?" Mom asked, her smile radiant with excitement. I looked at her and then back at the picture. Indeed, he was handsome – as always. The familiarity of his smile stirred memories, the same smile that had captivated me time and again. How could this be happening?

My brain faltered, struggling to comprehend the unfolding scenario. Confusion engulfed me, and I questioned why he would choose marriage when he seemingly already had the love of his life.

"Mishu, what happened? Why are you so tensed?" Mom asked as she got settled beside me. I shook my head, unable to articulate the jumble of thoughts inside me.

"Do you know him?" she inquired. I did, all too well.

"He was my senior," I replied, my mind still grappling with the confusion that surrounded us.

"Wow, great. A friend of mine told me about him. While talking about your education, she mentioned the name of the same college you attended, so I thought you might know him. Turns out, he is your senior," she said, chuckling.

"Mom, he is married," I blurted out, my confusion reaching its peak. I was on the verge of tears.

"What?" she asked. Shock was visible on her face. The revelation must have left her stunned. Had she been aware of his marriage, I'm sure I would have never got to see his picture. But then the question is, how did she get to know about him?

"He is married mom. Very happily married. Why did you show his picture to me?" I interrogated, frustration tinting my tone. It felt like my feelings were being played with.

"Wait, there is some confusion." She said and dialed someone's number in her phone. As she kept talking, I was able to see her face softened.

"I'm sorry, my fault." She said and disconnected the call. Even explained how she mistook him for someone else. I felt a sharp pain in my heart and felt the tears already running down my cheeks. Why did this happen to me?

"I'm sorry." Mom apologized.

"I told you he is married." I blurted. With a sigh, mom looked at me and said something which was yet another shock for me.