Chapter : 5

Those we love never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch.” ― Jack Thorne

Varun's pov:

"God, she cries too much nowadays," Janvi remarked, handing Isha to me.

"She is small. What else do you expect?" I defended my sweet little daughter.

"What happened to you?" Mom asked Janvi, noticing her tired appearance. I regretted leaving the hospital early.

As decided, we went to the doctor in the evening, but because of an important work call I had to leave Isha with Janvi, hoping she wouldn't trouble her much. However, looking at Janvi's exhausted face, it was clear that it had been a struggle for her. Poor girl!

"I met someone today," Janvi announced, and everyone's attention shifted.

"Who?" Parth asked, eager to know. Mom told him to wait until dinner, and he agreed happily. I, too, was glad to have him here after so many days.

Janvi caught my eye, teasing me with a smile. I ignored it and started playing with Isha.

"Misha," she replied. Not again. Why did she have to meet her out of all people in the world?

"Where? How? Did you talk with her?"

Mom's eagerness surfaced immediately.

"In the hospital. Isha was crying continuously, and it became so difficult for us to control her. She didn't stop crying despite numerous attempts. It's Misha who was able to control her. Thank God she was there; otherwise, I can't even imagine how I would have stopped her," Janvi explained, making me feel sad. Isha being sick almost every time, hurts a lot.

"I already said she is perfect for both of them," Mom remarked, looking at me. I ignored it again.

"Varun, why don't you understand me?" Mom asked, irritation evident in her tone.

"We talked about it already," I replied.

"Anyway, what did the doctor say?" I asked Janvi, who seemed clueless.

"Sorry," she apologized and continued. "They said that Isha is not well yet. She may look healthy but is actually very weak internally. She also said that she needs proper care and treatment; otherwise, the situation might get difficult." Janvi's words struck a chord; I couldn't let anything happen to my baby. We consulted so many doctors, but there was no improvement.

"She called for a checkup after two days."

"Okay, I will meet her," I said and took Isha to our room. Placing her in her crib, covering her with a blanket, I felt helpless, confused, and sad.

As I walked towards my bed, I saw our picture hanging just above it – a snapshot of Isha, Tanvi, and me. Tanvi was so excited about this picture; it was our first photoshoot with our baby girl. I remembered how thrilled she was for Isha's birthday and how she wanted this picture to be hung in the living room during the celebration. She was the one who ordered this picture with such a large size, and she was the one who never got to see it for real.

'I miss you so much. I need you here with me. Why did you leave me alone? I'm incomplete without you!' I whispered, staring at the picture.

I was still lost in thoughts when I heard a knock on the door. I assumed it was Mom.

I opened the door and saw Mom standing there with a small smile. She opened her arms, and I hugged her immediately.

"I miss her so much, Mom," I said, still hugging her. She broke the hug and took me inside the room, sitting on the couch and making me sit beside her.

"Do you think we don't? Of course, we do, Varun. She was the sweetest daughter-in-law I had. She was like a daughter to me and will always be. But we need to accept that she won't come back. Even I miss her so much, but why I'm telling you to take this step is for you, for our Isha. I can't always be there to take care of her. We need a mother for her," she explained.

"We will hire someone, Mom."

"Okay, ask this to yourself: Will she take care of her like a mother?" Mom asked, making me numb. I didn't know what to say because what she asked was definitely difficult to answer, and part of me knew that the caretaker wouldn't be so good.

"So, do you think Misha will really take care of her? We don't even know that girl."

"I didn't tell her to marry her only. I liked her, and I know she will be a good wife as well as a good mother. It's up to you; if you don't like her, we will find someone else," she replied.

"It's up to me, right?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Then I don't want to get married," I stated.

"I have already said this, Varun. If not for you, at least think of Isha. You need to get married," I can do anything for Isha, but marrying someone was not an option and definitely not a small thing.

"Even if I get married, I can't keep her happy. There can't be anything like a husband and wife between us. I won't be able to love her ever. So, isn't it unfair to the girl?" I asked, and this time Mom looked confused.

"We don't love someone intentionally; it happens, at the most unexpected time and with the most unexpected person. What is meant to be will be," she replied.

"I love Tanvi and always will. So, there's no chance," I stated, making Mom shake her head in disapproval.

"I won't say much, but Misha is a good girl. My heart says she will be a very good mother. I don't know whether she liked you since your college days, but if it's true, trust me, you are the luckiest man. Lastly, at least for the sake of Isha, think about your decision again," Mom said and left.

What am I going to do now? I need to do something for Isha, but getting married is definitely not the solution. I wrestled with my thoughts, torn between the responsibilities towards my daughter and my own feelings.

Do vote and comment.
Thank you.