³

sunday nights were typically the nights finn got the least amount of sleep.

recovering from the weekend that gave him a chance to sleep in, thinking about work that was soon to come, and the thought of seeing violet in the near hours.

it all made his skin crawl. it all made it impossible to sleep.

that matter, however, became worse at the sound of loud knocks at his door. his body groans awake, forced to look at the time that illuminated red in his room.

three a.m.

he rubs what little sleep he had gotten off his face, pulling the blankets from his body and quietly making his way to the front door.

his nerves rush away as he checks the peephole of his door. the nervousness is instantly replaced with confusion as he swings it open.

"maddie?" his eyes adjust to the light contrast between the bright hallway and his dark apartment.

"hey, finn." her eyes stand red and puffy, nose pink from the outside cold. she stands just outside his door, puffy coat to her arms. and despite the late time, she manages to show up in jeans and healed boots.

"do you need something? its three in the morning." he rubs his eyes once more, trying to awaken in the situation.

"oh." she stares to her feet, having such a long night.
"im sorry i just, malcolm called off the engagement tonight. he kicked me out and i just, i didnt know where to go."

"shit mads." he sighs,
"im really sorry."

her eyes start to water through her worn off mascara.
"i really need someone to talk to about it."

he bites his lip, turning his head to see the temporary walls luna slept behind just feet away in the livingroom. he turns back to maddie, swearing that she was closer than before.
"my daughter's sleeping."

"i'll be quick, i swear."

he sighs, giving in.
"alright, but quietly."

he lets her in reluctantly, leading her through the darkness of his apartment, to his bedroom. finn pulls the blankets over the bed to give them a place to sit; lighting the room up with the bedside lamp. double checking the door was shut, he talks gently towards her.
"what happened tonight?"

her head shakes, breaking down into the crease of her hands. leaving finn no choice but to watch her cry in the middle of his bed sheets.
"it just all happened so fast."

"five years is a long time to be engaged, mads. did it really happen that fast?"

"we never argued, never fought. we never did much of anything, it was like we were strangers with a ring on my finger and a mansion in the rich suburbs."

he nods, being all too familiar with not fighting in a relationship. as ironic as it was, never fighting tore every relationship hes ever known, apart.

"i just dont know what i did. he kicked me out so easily, finn." she cries, voice quiet as promised.

finn sighs, hand running along her back in comfort.
"i dont think it was you maddie. i love malcolm, like a brother to me. but since we were kids he was afraid of committment. which was why hearing about your engagement took us all off gaurd in the first place. you cant change that, nobody can."

she sighs,
"im not crying over him."

his eyes widen, head flinching in confusion.
"i thought-"

"i was never connected to malcolm, not like i have with my past relationships." she stares over to finn, trying her best to hint.

he got it, he pretended not to.
"then why are you here?"

"i dont have anywhere else to go."

her selfishness sinks into him, almost glad that his friend had finally gotten away from her.
"you need somewhere to stay."

"just for a little while, until i can find a place of my own."

finn sighs, elbows to his knees in thought. the minipulative way her southern accent placed in kindness always got her what she wanted. finn had began to understand to see that the moment violet left him. it made his blood boil. knowing she was with his friend to climb her way to him.

that was true. maddie would never admit it, not even to herself.

"fine." finn gives in, feeling sorry for her.
"you can stay in here for the night until i can get the couch set up for you."

her tears disinigrate, a smile to her lips as shes getting what she wanted.
"thank you, finn."

"sure." he shrugs,
"theres some things left from violet in the bottom drawer if you need something to sleep in, bathroom is across the hall."

she stands,
"what side of the bed do you prefer?"

he stares to her in practical disbelief, a gentle smirk to her lips in excitemenet to finally get close to him again.
"i'll be out with luna tonight, actually. i have to be up in a couple hours for work so."

her smile falls,
"oh."

"anyway, violet will be over to pick up luna in the morning and then im off to work for the day-"

"how are you guys doing?" maddie stops him at the door.

"well." he lies.

"thats it?"

"its been two years, we've learned to be civil."

"does that mean you're over each other."

finn sighs, leaning to the doorframe, trying to leave.
"look mads, if youre going to be staying here you need to know where the boundries are. im not interested in anything but luna and my band. just because youre here doesnt mean youre going to change that. sleep well."

he leaves her on her own, gently walking to lunas sectioned off room. he pulls open the wall quietly, nudging lunas small body to one side of her full size bed and taking the other. gladly pulling her closer to him within the darkness of the room. her small hands reach for his, holding tightly onto him as she slept.

and finally, momentarily, finn got some rest.

and then his alarm went off, and reality set back in.

he wakes, turning toward luna as her eyelashes flutter in sleep. his nose grazes hers, his hands pushing her curly hair from her face. gently he kisses her forehead.
"luna, time to get up love."

her eyes flutter open in confusion, reaching her arms out to wrap around him. he hugs her gently, pulling the sheets off her warm body.
"why did you sleep here, daddy?"

"i have a friend over. you dont mind, right?" he smiles, tickling her sides as she erupts in laughter.

"stop!"

"go get ready for moms and i'll make you breakfast, okay?" he stands, watching as she crawls out of bed.

"okay daddy."

finn travels to the kitchen in the early morning light, pulling cereal from the cabniets. it only takes minutes before luna got her things together, sitting on the livingroom floor with her breakfast; watching cartoons on the tv.

he stays by the counter tops, putting together a lunch for him at work. as he places his things in a bag, he watches as maddie stirrs from her bedroom. she doesnt bother to talk with finn. instead, heading straight for luna to introduce herself.

finn watches from the distance, pretending to continue with being occupied.

he knew what she was trying to do.

she was trying get close to luna so that she would be a friend.

a friend that luna would never want to leave.

she was trying to stay.

1300 wc

-tomorrows my first day of junior year! what grade are you in?