violet was a dream.

finn already knew that.

but he was reminded.

reminded that night when he sat inside his warm jeep in her driveway, this time with his daughter in the backseat; talking away about a story hes heard about a million times.

patiently, he listens anyway. at least until he sees violets front door sweep open, and she carefully walks down the few slippery steps to the walkway.

her casual black dress tucked under a like-length jacket. her long legs exposed to the cold with a pair of flats at her feet. her dark hair floats behind her in a neat, straight blanket; parting down the center without a flaw. she was heavenly, her shiny lips in her clear lip gloss. eyelashes that were so dark, they were impossible not to see from a distance. it had been a long time since he had seen her outside of her work clothes or her house clothes.

her scent immediately fills the inside of his jeep as she climbs into the passenger seat. finn pretends not to notice; it was the only thing he could focus on.

"thanks for picking me up, finn." she smiles towards him, trying to pretend that he hadn't seen her break down earlier that day. she turns behind her to eye luna.
"hey sweetie, how was dance today?"

"good! you'll never guess what happened!"

violet patiently listens to lunas never ending story that finn had already heard on the way there. she catches him glancing to her every now and then on the dreadfully long ride there.

nevertheless, they make it there halfway through her story. cutting her short with the opening of their car door. luna hangs onto their hands, slipping around in the icy parking lot with her pink snow boots in between the two.

it was an event, to take her anywhere. but she was overjoyed to have been in a place with the both of her parents. displaying a smile to prove it.

she was an easy kid, something violet and finn were thankful for. she told her stories and then settled into silence typically. holding crayons in her hands and trying her best to stay inside the dark sketched lines in a coloring book; it was her favorite thing to do.

violet always teased finn that luna would be an artist instead of a musician; she blamed it on the painting that sat in finns living room.

he typically refused the observation, shoving a guitar in lunas arms any chance he got. she wasnt old enough to appreciate the time spent with her dad while she learned music, but it was everything finn thought about.

they settle into the warm seats on the far side of the restaurant. a small round table that placed them to all face one another. as usual, the two had expected luna to preoccupy herself with colors like she always did.

violet places her jacket to the seat behind her, pale eyes glimmering in the yellow lights strung above them.
"this place is really nice, finn."

"i hope you like it. the owners a fan, otherwise i would have been on the waiting list for a couple days."

her kind eyes smile towards him, watching as his hand nervously taps gently to the white table cloth.
"thought i was just tagging along?"

the two of them are interrupted as a glass of wine is sat in front of them. and suddenly, new york came rushing back and they were meeting up once again.

a fancy restaurant. the red wine finn only grew to like because of her. his fingers trace the bottom rim, eyes shifting between her shiny lips and her captivating eyes.

he'd admit it.

he missed her.

"you called off work tonight?" she stares to him, eyebrows raised in a teasing smirk.