"good morning love. ready for dance?"

"yes!" luna hops herself into finns jeep, buckling herself in as she typically asked her parents to do for her.

"mom busy?"
finn had only assumed that violet was preoccupied with something and asked luna to go out on her own. in his mind, surely their fight was unimportant and small within her busy, powerful life.

"she said she wasnt feeling well and that i was a big girl now."

"oh." finn nods, pulling out from the timid suburbs, and back into the bustling traffic.
"i guess shes not wrong, huh?"

"is she hurt?"

"is who hurt?" he glances to her in his mirror.

"i heard mommy crying last night." she sighs,
"i thought she was hurt."

finns chest tightens with his grip to the steering wheel. he knew violet wasn't happy, but he wasn't prepared with the harsh reality of that she still cried; over him nonetheless. he felt guilty, upset with himself.
"that doesnt mean shes hurt, sweetie. sometimes people just cry."

"i cry when im hurt." her legs swing below her.
"or when i miss you."

"people cry for lots of reasons." he tries to explain, pulling into her dance studio for her typical two hour rehearsals three times a week.

"is it because she misses you like i do?"

he parks his car, turning around to look a smile towards her. every bone in his body ached, so unbelievably upset and overwhelmed with how smart his daughter was.

"lets go in before youre late, okay?"

"okay, daddy." she clicks away from the conversation. luna was smart, on track to start school; but rather brilliant when it came down to street smarts. most of the time, finn swore that she made more sense than most of the adults he had run into.

he picked her up from violets that day with every intention of going home to get some work done on that saturday morning. but now, all he could think about was how selfish that would be for him.

all he could think about was her. the dreary room of her house that he had never seen furnished before; walls of grey and the smell of rain clouds. and that surely she sat on her bed, head in her hands and felt so utterly alone that night. cold to the touch, warm to the cheeks. everything just, wrong.

he couldnt stand it, picturing what he had done to her once again. for the biggest reason he told her to leave in the first place, was to stop the hurt. not for him, but for them.

so instead of driving back to his comfortable home back in the city, he turns down the familiar cobblestone roads to find the one house that looked nothing out of the ordinary with its surrounding neighbors. the white paneling and snow covered mailbox telling a lie of the lifelessness that lay inside.

he hops out of his jeep once again, the all black surface clashing with the white of the driveway. he leaves his keys on the seat and heads up to her door. talking himself into going through with checking in on her. he cared, he wanted her to be okay. but it didn't stop the nervous traces his cold hands contained.

it felt like minutes until he heard movement behind the door. he waited, refusing to leave until he saw her, and he was glad he did.

violet opens the door for herself, her surprised face striking finn more effectively than he expected. her face was pale, eyes red and heavy. a sweatshirt covers her arms, hair a wavy mess to her shoulders. she looked like hell, it caused finn to crumble to his knees.

it was as if a reflex, reaching for her waist to pull her into his hold. he feels her stiff body loosen, melting into him with the hold of her own. it was as long as he could manage to stay with her. for he thought he was over her, being away for so long. all it took was one, simple hug to remind him how she felt; how she breathes gently and smells like wet flowers in the middle of april.

its silent between them, neither willing to let go so soon. violet didn't know it either, but she needed him too.

"luna told me."
she feels the vibration on his chest from his words.
"i shouldn't have yelled at you like that last night. you had every right to be upset, it was a dick move."

"you were right." she pulls from him, arms crossed as she stares up at his gentle face.
"its not my place."

"it our daughter." he sighs, hands resting softly to the side of her arms.
"i didnt mean to make you cry, violet. im sorry."

her eyes water with the remembrance of feelings last night. she didn't bother to hide it from him, not daring to leave his eyes now that she had the chance to stay with them while she could.
"this is so hard, finn. its been to years and nothings gotten easier."

"i know." he whispers, pulling her back to him by her shoulders; wrapping his arms around her head in peace. trying to keep her from crying once more.
"i know. but we have to keep it together."

his hands rest to the side of her face, fingers brushing away her tears as he stares deeply to her.
"for luna."

she nods, under his trance. unable to move, to understand much of anything with him so strictly staring at her. so close.

something clicks with him, understanding that he was pushing it too far. he forces himself to pull away, arms dropping to his sides as he puts a small distance between them.
"i told maddie she needed to be out by tonight. i thought i would bring luna out to dinner while she got her things out. do you want to come with?"

her heart flutters to her throat, circling zoos in her stomach.
"to dinner with you guys?"

"im sure luna would be happy to be going with the both of us; my treat."

her arms cross in front of her,
"sounds nice."

"we'll be by around five, to pick you up."

she lets off a gentle smile, body drained.
"thank you, for checking in on me."

"i feel alone sometimes too, you know? it sucks, i dont want you to feel like that. i know this sounds stupid, but seven years ago i promised that i would be there for you. we promised. we're not together, but youre still part of my life. that doesnt change anything."

she was thankful that he was able to take care of them. for even after two years apart, he was able to hold them together.

just like he always did.

1145 wc