³⁸

the house stood still, violets body sat in the same chair in the same naked room as the days blended together. they seemed to make things work during the week between the two of their work schedules, always managing to find a plan for luna while they were busy.

after the chaos the week typically brought violet, she had been looking forward to spending the weekend with her family.

gentle taps on the opened doorway draw her attention from her screen, a gentle smile earned from finn.

"can i come in?"

"course you can." she flashes a smile to him, finishing up the document she had been working on as he stepped into the den.

"listen, i gotta go to aylas for a bit to sort out some stuff with the band. im not sure what time im going to be back."

"youre going to be late?" she frowns, putting her attention back to him.

his expression changes, his smile falling in guilt.
"i can take luna with me if you need me to-"

"no, no i'll watch her. thats fine, i'll see you when you get home."

"dont be mad, vi."

"im not mad." she shrugged,
"i wanted to spend some time with you since we've both been working, but you gotta do what you have to."

he trails over to her, kissing her cheek.
"i'll make it up to you i promise."

"mhm." she hums, going back to her work as finn began to leave.
"drive safe, i love you."

"i love you." he calls back to her, well out of the room before he had the chance to see her disappointment.

despite his hesitation to stay home that night, he gets into his jeep and makes his way to aylas house. he wasnt going for what he claimed to be, but he knew it was important to go.

"finn, let me tell you i have been waiting for this for years." ayla meets him at the front door, pulling him in as her giddy aspects took over.

"yeah, me too." he laughs gently, following her as she pulls him by his hand. she pushes him towards her couch, the air smelling of lemons and ginger.

she sits next to him, leg pressed against his as she holds a cup of tea and a smile.
"what do you got so far?"

his head rests to the back of the couch with a sigh from his lips.
"i want it to be by the ocean."

"the ocean?"

"its close by the new house" he nods,
"violets been trying to sleep with the window open to listen to the waves in april. gets too cold in the middle of the night, i end up having to get up to shut it. ive never complained, shes never been."

"shes never been to the ocean? didnt she work in california?"

"in palmdale" his head shakes,
"place is all desert. she was pretty busy there."

"water is always a good choice, its romantic she'll like that."

"and i know when."

her eyebrows raised, shocked as she had figured that was the last piece to come about.
"you do?"

"i want there to be a full moon when i ask her."

ayla smiles at his thoughtfulness, grabbing her phone from the coffee table.
"looks like its may twenty seventh this year"

"jesus." he hadnt expected it so soon, but he knew hed have to wait over a month longer if he chose to wait.

"do you want it to be a big thing? or something simple?"

"simple, i think." he stares to the ceiling.
"but big enough to show there was thought, you know?"

"dinner before?"

"that sounds nice."

ayla looks to his calm voice, his head staying relaxed to the back of the couch as his gaze met her cream textured ceiling. and smile falls to her,
"well seems like youve taken care of the big things. let me take care of the rest."

"just, no music or anything cheesy."

her face twists, taken back.
"no music? thats a bit ironic dont you think."

"its the ocean, ayla. thats loud enough."

she hums in consideration, shrugging it away.
"give me a couple weeks to get some ideas down, we can get together again to see if you like everything."

ayla radiated energy, she knew how special her proposal was to her; she couldnt have possibly kept herself from helping after hearing about finns feelings from james.

finn didnt mind, he was rather thankful for it. he had the big ideas, but the small details seemed to always allude him; ayla had always been good with details.

"any questions from her today about you coming over?"

"not really." he sighs, looking at the clock knowing that it was getting late.
"she was upset with me for leaving, tonight was sort of the night we had planned to spend together. a break from work on both ends, she seemed disappointed."

"you can go if you need to, finn. i got the rest covered."

"she'll be asleep by the time i get home anyway."

with that, he stayed awhile, pleased with the amount of larger-scaled details they had accomplished. but sooner or later it got too late for the two of them, and finn gets back to his car nearing midnight.

the house was dark by the time he had gotten back, the lifelessness inside stung him with guilt for how late he came home that night.

it was for her, but she didnt know that. and he knew it had been a long week for the both of them.

he takes his shoes off at the door, carrying them upstairs at his fingertips. he turned right once he reached the last step, nudging lunas bedroom door opened to find her peacefully sleep under the heavy comforter on her bed. her newly decorated room had been picked up neatly, hair braided as she always seemed to have on the nights that violet put her to bed.

shutting the door quietly, he headed to the other end of the hall to his room. the door sat cracked slightly, holding in the cold that brushed his skin the moment it was opened.

his eyes trail from violet who laid asleep peacefully, to the opened window beside her. a smile tugs to his lips as his head shakes in the familiar routine.

setting his things down he walks to the window, shutting it and headed to bed.

1080 wc