¹⁷

"wolfhard!"

finns eyes dart across the dark parking lot of the bands music studio. the night sky lightly illuminated from the cities street lights, a slightly shorter curly haired friend's silhouette approaches him from the depths of the dark.

"hey malcolm, whats up?"

"what the fuck?" he shoves finn, his body pushed against his jeep as hes taken off guard.

finns body stutters in shock for a moment, not having been pushed around by anyone since he was a kid. his reflexes jolt his body, shoving malcolm back off of him.
"what the hell is your problem?"

"you know exactly what my problem is you self centered dick." malcolm approaches finn once more, his fist swinging at the side of finns head. the tall boys head jerks at the contact of malcolms fist, his hand wiping away the immediate blood that dripped from his bottom lip.

his arm pushes malcolm away from him, forcing him to keep a distance.
"im not fighting you over a girl i dont even want, malcolm."

"youre living with her?" his yells echo of the surround buildings, the empty parking lot suddenly feeling so crowded.
"are you seriously that fucking stupid?"

"who- who told you." finn stutters over himself, trying to forget about the pain that shot through his face; voice so quiet compared to his friends.

"ayla mentioned that it would be hard for her to leave now that youre moving- shes been there for months and you didnt say anything?"

"i thought you knew!"

"you think i would know and not be upset? she was my fiance."

"yeah and you broke it off!" finns yells back at him, suddenly making malcolm feel so small.

"doesnt matter finn, youre my friend!"

"good, if you want her so bad then take her back! shes been eating up so much space in my apartment that i have to move to get away. she wont leave."

"you asshole!" malcolm shoves finn harshly once more.

"would you stop?" finn shouts, unwilling to get into a fight. he was getting too old to fight, he had an adult job; a kid.
"look man, im sorry okay? i should have told you but i dont want her, i wouldn't ever do that to you."

"you already did! for two months!"

"well its ending. it should have a while ago, i know."

"fuck you finn. thats low, even for someone as shitty as you."

"malcolm-"

"no. youre not my friend, youre my band mate for one more tour but after that? im done."

"youre blowing this out of proportion-"

"you are a shitty person finn. genuinely the most uncaring person i have met in my life and ive known that about since we first met but i gave you the benefit of the doubt. but now? im not giving you anymore of my time finn, im done dealing with you."

finn watches silently beside his jeep as malcolm walks away into the ill lit parking lot. his hand wipes away the blood from his lip once more; pulling himself to get in his jeep and to try and forget about what happened the best he could.

but arriving home, he was forced to look into the eyes of the issue. his blood boiled at the sight of her, at the fake caringness that dripped from her lips.

he had had such a long day, he knew that no matter what he did, it wouldn't end in any way he could hope.

"finn, my god what happened?" maddies tan legs push the cotton blanket from herself, floating across the living room to the kitchen where he stood. her thumb brushes his cheek but he flinches away.

"i want you out, maddie."

"i thought i could stay until you moved-"

"no. get out."

"finn-"

"get the fuck out of my house, maddie!" he yells to her figure that stood so close to him, she backs down.
"tonight, i want you out tonight."

"i dont have anywhere to go."

"try malcolms." he pushes his way past her, bringing himself to the bathroom. he peels his clothes off of himself, stepping into hot running water as he watches the blood wash away down the drain.

he stares to the shower wall. not feeling much of anything anymore. his body felt numb, his mind felt numb.

he had lost his best friend that night, he knew it.

he could have stayed in that shower forever if that meant he didnt have to feel.

he had felt a lot in his life, he had already been through so much for being in his mid twenties. but he hadnt ever felt nothing.

he steps from the steam, towel to his hips until he travels to his room; getting himself dressed to go to sleep.

he didn't stop to check on maddie, to ask if she needed help or if she needed him to find her a place. he was done helping. finn had hoped he would fall asleep to awaken to an empty apartment.

and he did.

he awoke to an anomaly, an empty apartment that leaked in silence; and the suitcase that she had lived out of had gone from the living room corner with her. for the first time since he could remember, he didnt care where she had gone or where she had ended up.

he had cared for too long and it had drained the life out of him. he used to love her, he thought. back as a kid he would have sworn that thats what he had felt. it was before he knew what love felt like.

his lip radiates pain to his face, a consistent reminder of the friend he had lost the night before. a reminder that he didn't have anyone left to talk to about how he felt or how he should feel.

he had lost malcolm over his own doing. knowing he lost ayla when he lost violet, and his brother lived in another country without him.

he didnt have his best friends, his family, or the love of his life. he had his daughter.

she was what he was holding onto.

but his grip could only hold for so long before his fingers slip.

and he crumbles.

1037 wc