²²

morning falls without complications like they had hoped for. luna had woken up early, rejuvenated with energy and could hardly contain her excitement feeling the both of her parents next to her.

violet didnt want her daughter to get used to the feeling, she didnt want to get used to the feeling. it always ended in disappointment.

she doesn't wake up at the motions of luna besides her; sleeping peacefully through the snow storm outside. vancouver just wouldnt let up at that time of the year.

finn wakes, though. his eyes flinching open at the small hand pressed to his cheek by his daughter. his hand swallows hers as he takes it, thumb brushing her skin lightly as he begins to get up.

"c'mon." he whispers, helping her to stand on the bed by her hand.
"lets go out so we dont wake up mom, yeah?"

her arms wrap around him as he lifts her up, warm and sweaty from her sleep. he pushes her hair from her sticky forehead, carrying her out of the room silently. finns eyes trail back to violet before he shuts the door. her body lying peacefully in the heavy covers, breaths steady and deep.

the door closes and finn takes luna out to the kitchen, setting her down on the empty kitchen counter; cold against her bare legs.

"sleep okay lunes?"

"i didnt know mommy was staying" her legs fold beneath her, head nodding to answer his question.

"well, she wanted to make sure you were okay. how are you feeling?"

"is she staying with us for a while?" her voice gleams in excitement, body bouncing around.

"how are you feeling, luna?"

"fine" she sighs.

"breathing okay?"

"when are we going to dinner for my birthday?"

"tonight." finn sets an empty bowl next to her, filling it with fruit loops.
"if youre feeling okay."

"can mom come with?"

"thats the plan" finns sighs, pouring milk into the cereal. it was hard, the way luna was obsessed with her parents being together. it was a constant reminder of the life he set for luna by ending things with violet instead of pushing through them.

the truth was, he tried for a long time. for months he tried to make things work with violet spending all of her time at work. he tried to take luna everywhere he could, and perhaps that was to blame for the strong relationship he had with luna. but it got to be unreasonable, and violet wasnt willing to compromise on it.

finn tried; it was violet who gave up. but he carried the guilt on his shoulders from the start.

it never got easier like they said it would. maybe he would eventually move on, marry a short blonde with a stable life; have two more kids and model until he was too old. retire and spend the rest of his life trying to figure out ways to get out of the house away from his life that he should be happy with, but isnt.

it wasnt violet, which is why he could never picture a happy future. maybe it was instinct, maybe it was all in his head; but from the day he stumbled upon violet years ago. his business shoes replace with dirty tennis shoes then, button ups were metallica tshirts, and somehow a few inches shorter. he knew he would marry her.