⁴⁸

"do you remember when luna was just born, the first couple nights at the hospital she wouldnt stop crying and we thought for sure we were in a load of trouble."

"youd wake up every hour to her crying and you'd try to hum her back to sleep" violet sits to the couch, her body towards him as the night illuminates their windows.
"course i remember."

"she ended up being the best baby." finn sighs, head rested back to the cushion as he stares to the tall ceiling.

"we got lucky for first time parents, i hope ayla has the same luck."

"so, after the wedding." he looks to violet, her body soaked in the warm yellow light falling from above them.

she looks to him in awaits of finishing his sentence, but it never came.
"after the wedding, what?"

his expression changes, a questionable smirk to his lips.
"how many kids do you want, miss cage?"

"wouldnt you like to know." she nudges him, resting her head to his chest to feel his arm fall down her back. the sound of his heartbeat drowns her senses in the thick of her happiness.

"luna will grow up to be a brat if shes an only child you know."

her smile falls in peace, eyes glued to the black screen of the disconnected tv.
"two."

she sits up once more, pushing herself from the couch gently by his chest at the sound of their front door opening.
"but we'll talk after the wedding."

he follows her quietly, expecting their daughter despite the late hour. he holds the door open for her, violet idling next to him as they watch luna walk in with a backpack to her back.

mary follows behind her, greeting the two with a smile.

"my son!" she holds onto his tall shoulders, practically dragging him down as he groans.

"mom, c'mon." he pulls from her, a smile to her face as she holds onto violet gently.

"let me know how it goes with luna." mary whispers, seeing herself out of the warm home into the cool spring night. she wanted to spend the happy news with her kids, but knew that luna wasnt yet aware of the situation.

the two parents watch from the front door, luna watching back in the awkward silence. violet and finn stand in unease at their daughter who hardly knew a tense situation when she was in one.

"do you want ice cream?"

"finn, its eleven o'clock."

"relax, vi. come on luna."

her small body throws her overnight bag to the floor, jumping in finns direction as he leads the three of them to the kitchen. it was one reason after the next as to why she adored her dad.

"besides, we have to celebrate somehow right?"

"is it moms birthday?" lunas expression sits open, her head swirling with nothing but the frozen tub finn pulls from the freezer.

"not exactly." he scoops the strawberry ice cream to a bowl, setting the spoon in it gently and sliding it across the counter to her.

violet watches the frozen desert sweat as it sat on the warm counter, knowing that this was finns way of gently giving the news to someone who hardly comprehends half of what an adult would.

"then what are we cell-brating?"

"we have something to tell you and we want to know what you think."

lunas dark eyes flicker up to her parents who stood next to one another on the other side of the counter. she stays quiet, waiting patiently as the ice cream remains stick to her lips.