³³

"boy violet, do i have news for you."

"me too." violet sighs to the counter across from ayla, the two girls sitting tension-hung in the chaos of violets home.

luna's doll house radiating noises through the house, the girl and a friend from daycare laugh up a storm within her paper walls. the tv continues to play the cartoons that the two kids had ditched hours before.

"you first." aylas smile creeps to her lips, looking at violet daringly.

"well im, seeing finn again."

"oh violet." ayla sighs, knowing the routine by then.

"no im not sleeping with him, i mean that im seeing him."

she stares to her friend, at loss with so many different thoughts scrambling everywhere.
"oh."

"i know what youre thinking-"

"that youre going to hurt each other again? what about jack?"

"this time is different!"

"how?" ayla looks to her doubtfully.

violet grabs her hand, squeezing it in eagerness,
"he saved my old band tshirts."

"gross, why? you dont wear stuff like that anymore."

"because it was thoughtful." violets pulls away, crossing her arms in front of her.
"and, im thinking about moving back in with him."

"woah, violet." ayla seemed to be taken back, although she knew that it shouldn't surprise her anymore.
"what happened to not fitting into his lifestyle and wanting to mow your own lawn? you were so persistent on that."

"he apologized for anything in the past, and he told me he loves me."

"but you know how it goes-"

"listen i know how this seems, but our lives were in two different places when we split up; it just wasnt the right timing."

"and it is now?"

violet nods, hoping her friend would acknowledge how much maturity came with settling into their once new jobs and raising a kid on their own.

"and as for jack" violet sighs into a laugh of disbelief in herself,
"i wrote him this stupid letter. i probably wont ever give it to him, i suppose its a bit demeaning. but it helped me figure out where i stood with all of it."

ayla let off an unexpected smile, a gentle kindness evaporating to the room.
"im really happy for you."

"you are?"

"i love you, and i love finn. i always felt like you guys would figure something out, but just, be careful; please. youve accomplished too much to go through the heartbreak again, you have too much to lose."

"i'll be careful, i promise."

ayla nods, confident enough that her friend was smarter than what she gave her credit for.

"so whats your big news?"

"im pregnant."

"what?" the casual words seeping to violets head in a process, disbelief spread to her face. its replaced with excitement that spilled from her veins.
"why didnt you tell your news first, my god!"

ayla laughs, watching her friend run around the counter to give her a hug.
"you seemed like yours was important."

"not as important as this! when did you find out?"

"a week ago." she pulls from violet, watching her eyebrows furrow and a frown smear to her face.

"youre just now telling me?"

"youre not exactly easy to get ahold of, violet."

she accepted it was true, taking a seat next to ayla on the island counter.
"does james know?"

"of course he does, im not young and worried if he'll stay."

"hurtful but fair" violet smiles, a sigh escaping her,
"you're going to love being a mom, ayla. it changes your mentality completely. i mean everything you thought you knew, changes."

"that sounds promising."

"no, i mean in a good way. i cant wait, im so excited for you."

"you know i was really hoping you would have settled down with someone by now so that we could go through this together."

violet lets out a laugh, her head shaking.
"i'll tell you the same thing you told me when i was pregnant with luna. factorys closed, love."

"yeah yeah" ayla sighs, staring to her hands.
"listen, could you do me a favor and not tell finn yet? i think i want to tell him myself."

"oh." violets face strips in surprise.
"i thought you guys werent-"

"its my fault that this all happened, just because malcolm despises him doesn't mean i shouldn't be civil."

"he would really like that, ayla."

"maybe the four of us can go out to dinner sometime, you know? like old times."

"that sounds nice."

"so," ayla sighs in a filter of relief that the conversation was over.
"back to this moving thing."

"i havent told luna, im not even sure if im going to go through with it."

"why are you so unsure?"

"because im being careful." she spoke truthfully,
"and a part of me feels that it would be careless of me to just pack up and leave."

"well thats a long process anyway, right? you have time."

violet head shakes,
"finn said he'd take care of the process for me, i told him id have an answer for him by tomorrow."

"jesus."

"i love him, and i want to be with him."

"but you don't know if thats a safe decision?"

"exactly." violets head rests to her hand, propping her hopes up.

"do you really think hes changed? and really think about that because if theres even a slight feeling in your gut that he hasnt, its a not a good idea."

"oh god, no. im not worried about him messing it up." violet chuckles gently, a heavy sigh to follow.
"its me that im worried about, i mean christ i pick work over my own family. its no wonder why i dont know my actual family."

"you were never raised to put people before your accomplishments. thats not your fault."

but there it was again, the guilt that rose in violets stomach. she felt like she were to be sick.
"finn changed everything about himself to be with me and i couldnt do one lazy action of getting my priorities straight. i dont want to mess up again."

"you work from home, you did change your habits. and honestly, violet? he knows damn well how important your job is to you at this point. if its you youre worried about, he gave you a second chance."

and from there, what else was violet supposed to hold onto.

1060 wc