²⁴

"so, i need to talk to you about something."

finns eyes dart to his daughter who's legs swing next to him in the chair of the resturant. her hand creating friction to a paper of colors.
"sure."

violet watches as he adjusts the rolled sleeves of his dress shirt. he was so put togehter in those days, growing from the band shirts and jeans.

"theres a show at commodore that i have to be at later this week. i was going to call it off because of whats been going on. but she seems well and, i really dont think it would look the best if the ceo doesnt show up."

"the commodore?"

violet nods, her eyes placing to him gently from the other side of the table. it was the venue where they had met, and started the surreal life they stood in now.
"would you mind taking luna for the day? i'll pick her up first thing in the morning."

the young girls head perks up at the mention of her name, semi-aware of what was going on.

"vi, you dont have to bargin with me, of course i'll take her. anytime, really. i dont have much to keep myself busy anymore."

"i'll go to work with you daddy. jack can take me to chuck e cheese afterwards!"

"im, not going to work lunes. we'll spend the day together, okay?"

she shrugs, continuing her coloring with a crayon at her fingertips.

"so friday night is okay with you? i wasnt sure if you had," she hesitates.
"company, or plans with it being a friday."

she knew there were other occasional girls that walked through that apartment in a one time experience over night. she didnt blame him, for she wished she could have said the same; to not be so held back from accepting any other guy into her life, even for a night.

he never told her there were other girls, she never told him that there werent any guys. they just left it as an unspoken agreement that they allowed themselves to believe what they thought rang true. whatever way that went.

"i'll cancel for my daughter, vi."

her eyes flinch up to catch the gentle grin to his face as he stares to her.
"so this show, is it a big deal for you?"

"ive been to hundreds of them as ceo by now. at least it feels that way. its the same old thing every time; talk, present, take credit for whats mine, take credit for what isnt mine, talk some more."
her voice turns to a mumble as her fragile fingers balance on the surface of the glass of water in front of her.
"same shit; different day."

finn couldnt help but feel a slightest bit of guilt in the pit of his stomach. he hadnt shown up to a single event since him and violet split. he hadnt ever asked, never gave a fleck of interest in what she was accomplishing. and he could admit to himself that most of the interactions with her those days revolved around either luna or sex.

he hated every second of the realization. he wanted to be there for violet again; not for her, but for him.

"anyway, its late. mind dropping me off at work?"

"now? its almost ten oclock."

"have to get my car, finn." she stands, smoothing her clean; but recently worn dress, down to the shape of her body. his eyes follow her figure gently as she slips her long coat on from the back of her seat; there were so many things that he was keeping down in that moment. finn had wished he could have told her right at that very table. but it was getting late, and luna was practically breathing in any conversation that came out.

violet was home too quickly for her liking. it was always hard, going back to shadows from the moon in an empty house filled with the creaks of her footsteps. she never forgot when she lived on her in new york, and time after time finn had warned how lonely it truly got on your own. she thought she had felt it then, but it was nothing for how things were now.

her dress falls to the floor of her bedroom, skin covered in goosebumps in the darkness surrounding her. she hadnt bothered with the lights in her home, she typically didnt when she was on her own; but it was always the first thing luna did.

she pulls a soft robe over herself, finding a glass from the kitchen and pouring herself water to rest on the couch. a sigh escaping her lips as the blank stares wander around the room. she was always offput after spending time with finn, typically blaming it on the way he pulled stress into her life like a magnet. but truthfully it was the tension that consistently flowed between the two that never failed to be noticed. it was a hard feeling, something she would have expected to feel when she was a teenager trying to figure herself out.

a gentle knock at her front door sent her from the trance she sat in. she should have been concerned, peaking from the curtains to see who was at he doorstep at such a late hour, especially with the lack of lights on inside. instead, she gets up, glass still in her hand as she heads straight for the door handle. pulling the cold air into her warm house.

"hey, guys?" her eyes meet a band of three in front of her, gentle smiles to their faces and gifts in their hands.

"we didnt wake you did we?"

"i told you guys it was too late for this!" malcolm responds to ayla.

"we wanted to suprize luna for when she wakes up tomorrow." jack gestures towards the laminated balloon hanging from a string in his hand.

"shes at finns tonight." she watches their faces sink, feeling uncomfortable at the mention of his name. malcolm was the only one that had a true reason to dislike him. as the others didnt not love him like they used to, but things were seemingly more complicated with where they all stood with him.
"but, i'll drop them off to her tomorrow. she'll love it."

"we heard about what happened." ayla invites herself in, the others following as violet closes the door behind them, flipping on the livingroom overhead lights.

"we tried to come to the hospital, but by the time we heard about it you guys had left for home." jack tries to reason, glancing to the girl that he felt used to be his bestfriend. they hadnt seen each other in a while; malcolm either. that was her family, just as much as finn ever was to her.

"dont worry about it." violet smiles gently, taking the gifts from each of their arms to set in a small pile next to the couch.
"if i dont get it to her tomorrow morning, she'll be over for the night."

she turns from the wall, not expecting jack to be so close to her, flinching back and she looks up to him. he pulls her into a hug, feeling so unsure around her; a feeling he undoubtfully hated.

she breathes into his hold, wrapping her arms around the softness of his sweatshirt, cold from the outside air.
"i missed you guys."

"how is luna doing?" jack steps away from her, eyes meeting her ever so gently.

"good" violet nods her emotions away.
"she, wants you to take her to chuck e. cheese for her birthday. has been talking finn and i's ears off about it."

"me?" jack smirks to his friends, clearly feeling important.

"well im sure she would love if you could all take her. i told her maybe this weekend; if you guys arent busy."

"we'll make something work." jack stares to violet, a sudden heat from his chest at the concentrated sight of her.

her body somehow feels it too, pulling her eyes away to the others in hopes that it wasnt obvious.
"i would appreciate it."

"anything for luna, vi." malcolm smiles gently, jack maintaining the stare to her.

"yeah, anything for luna."

1375 wc
i will be focusing on 'killing sundays' after this series is complete. im really excited for that one but had to put it temporarily on hold for this series to be over. if you havent checked it out yet, i definitely recommend as it is a bit more organized than this series!