¹³

again, the snow fell.

it fell and for hours it didn't seem to want to let up.

violet began to worry, her candle scented home illuminated in dim lighting of christmas. she had spent all day cleaning, steaming the couches and vacuuming the floors.

she was nervous to see them again, her old family. people who had meant so much to her and were pulled away two years ago. she had wondered how much they had changed, if nick had managed to have kids with his beautiful wife in which violet had missed the wedding that made her two favorite people official.

it hurt, remembering how much of a part they played in her life while she lived in california; and then watch as they're ripped away in the circumstances.

and mary, and eric. how they had cared for her more than anyone ever had before. she hoped they were doing well, they deserved that much.

and of course, finn was another thought. a reoccurring one, but nevertheless a strong one. one that took over any chance of forgetting.

violet was left making a large dinner in the final preparation as the doorbell rang. she closes the oven as the food went in, heading over to the door. she straightens herself out before swinging it open; pushing her sweater back into place, the hair that fell from her low pony tail out of her face.

the cold air hits her all at once, but she stands unfazed at the sight of his smiling face. nick.

"hey ni-" the air is pushed from her words as he hugs her, tightly in his fragile arms as if she were glass he was scared to break.

"violet! god you look great, look at you!" he pulls away in a bright smile, admiring violet and everything she turned out to be. he hated this, always having to forget about her for a while so that his brother could sort out his feelings. he wished she would stay in his life forever.

maxine follows behind, giving the tall girl a friendly hug. her and nick had talked about violet often, she knew that the two of them were both ready to visit her by then. there were no babies yet, but violet had hoped that soon they would get the joy of one.

and like clockwork, mary and eric welcome violet in a tight hold. it put the parents in a weird position as there were so many emotions built up from not seeing violet in so long; however, any sign of tears were wiped away as they didn't want to show their son that they were all effected by his decisions. whether he was present or not.

"your home is lovely, violet." mary smiles, admiring the interior that violet knew was only average.

nevertheless, she thanks her and invites them into the kitchen in awaits for dinner with wine and snacks set out. hosting was something new for her.

"finn will be here soon. he had to get lunas presents together." his mom lays her hand to violets tall shoulder.

"her presents?"

the explanation is cut off by the doorbell ringing, she glances to mary; the others occupied talking to one another.

"looks like they were faster than i thought."

violet goes back to the door, her shaky hands pulling it open by its handle.
"you don't have to knock finn."

his gentle smile illuminates a feeling in her chest, violet scanning his hands that sit in wrapped presents; luna standing beside him with a few in her own arms.

"go set those under the tree sweetie." finn nudges his daughter inside, glancing back at violet.
"luna wanted to open some gift with the both of us, i figure i could take the gifts from my house for her to open tonight. i hope you dont mind."