⁴³

the days were numbered.

time ticked away in the quiet house, finn sat alone at his dining room table. it had been a long time since he had eaten dinner on his own, it brought a sense of uncomfortable relief with the stress going on in his life.

violet had gone into the office, luna begging to be brought with her which finn felt to be odd. their daughter had always requested to spend time with him when she had the chance, though he couldnt complain, he had missed the silence in a way.

finn puts his rinsed plate in the dishwasher, brushing off the foreign feeling of the empty space around him and carrying on with his night. before the night carried on too long, he heads out of the house, locking the door behind him before getting into his jeep.

he had yet to tell his parents about the engagement, and as the day fell closer he knew that if it didnt come out that night, it wouldnt at all. the drive there was simple, he'd done it a million times before but that evening seemed to hide all of his memory and suddenly he felt himself focusing on his actions. it was his nerves to blame, for he didnt know how they would take the news.

finns parents had always supported him when it came to violet. they felt one of their own in her, but with that they also knew her bad tendencies; they certainly knew his.

his cold fingers tap gently on their front door, opening it for himself to relieve the chills from his skin. the inside of his childhood home sat in comfortable warmth, smelling of candles and linen like it typically did. his parents' voices radiate from the yellow lit kitchen, he follows it to them.

"hi honey, how was the drive?"

"it was fine, mom. how are you guys?" he hugs hers, eyes glancing to his dad with the intent to say hello.

"enjoying retirement" eric smiles, nudging his sons shoulder.
"hows the new house? we still need to come by and see it now that youre settled."

"its going well. ive got people coming in to redo violets office in a few weeks, i could use your guys' help with picking out furniture to fill it with."

"we'll have to swing by before then" his mom smiles up to him,
"hows violet doing?"

"shes, good" he grows antsy at the topic, eyes falling to the floor.

"selling her house go okay?"

"oh, yeah. it was only on the market for a few days"

"whats the matter?" she catches on, knowing all to well what his sublte expression changes typically meant.

"i, need to talk to you guys about something" his arms cross over himself, leaning to the counter as his nerves tingle down his spine.

"you look worried?" his mom grows the feeling herself, the both of his parents poured their attention onto him.

"im just not sure how you guys will take it."

"what is it?"

"im going to ask violet to marry me."

"you are?" his dad seems to be taken back, standing across the kitchen from him.

finn nods, unable to read their faces.
"this saturday."

"oh my god!" his mom smiles, holding tightly to her son in a hug that she rarely requested. she pulls away from him, hand brushing away his curly hair that sat calmly to his forehead lovingly.
"thats so great, sweetie."

he sighs in relief, meeting the smile that his dad gave off.
"thats a big deal, finn. congrats."

"well, she hasn't said yes yet." he smiles to his mom as she pulls away, eyes flickering back to his dad.
"but i guess we'll see."