⁴⁹

violet paces, her body restless in the early day. luna tugs to her arm in hopes that her mom would solve the static on the tv. she had been attached at the hip since learning about her parents engagement the week before.

"mom please the tv's been broken for hours!"

"luna its been twenty minutes, cant you play with something else for a while?"

"daddy told me that he'd fix it but hes on the phone!"

"jesus, okay" she pushes her nerves aside, walking down the long hall with luna not far behind.

violet fixes the channel button, calming the interruptive static to a mindless movie luna seemed to love.

she doesnt thank her mom, too entrapped on her show to remember. violet too entrapped in her head to care.

leaving luna to her room where she preferred to stay, violet follows finns voice with her footsteps. carefully making her way to the kitchen where he stood.

his arm moves from his vision as he glances to violet, a conversation still being held through the phone pressed to his face.

she smiles grimly to him but he hardly notices, arguing over the voice that argued back on the other end. it was practically numbing to hear him yell over the phone as it seemed lately its all he was ever doing. straightening things out with manager who always argued for him to stay, even though he was payed by the money in finns wallet.

"i told you that its not happening, the venue is too big and im not putting them at risk!

whatever man, i gotta call you back."

the moment the phone is set to the counter his mood shifts with a sigh. smiling over to an underwhelmed look from the girl.

"rough day?"

"no." he shrugs the lie away, approaching her at the end of the counter to find his hands to her waist.
"whats wrong, you seem upset?"

her mind rejects her want to pull from his stare, feeling the numbness through her cheeks.
"no ive just, had a lot to think about today."

"like what?"

she shrugs although he could already guess what was keeping her up at night.

"dont worry about deciding yet, vi. i dont want you to stress over something as stupid as the tour."

"its stupid until i dont get to see you or luna for three months."

"well thats only if you dont come with us-"

"im not going with you."

his smile falls, watching as her eyes take glances between the floor and his own. his arms fall to his side, lips tingling. he knew she had a decision to make, but he figured that the build up was all fun and games. if he were honest, he felt unimportant once more.
"oh."

"im sorry, i know that this makes things hard-"

"-no its-"

"its not fine. look i want to be there, i want to support you one last time okay? but i have a company to run, i cant leave it to sit in a tour bus for the next three months."

his eyes fall to his feet, a silent sigh escaping the hope from his chest. there he stood, compromising against himself.
"have to do what you have to. i'll see you later i have to go deal with some stuff."

she watches him walk out, listening to the front door shut seconds to follow. she could feel his disappointment leave the room with him. violet wanted more than anything to be sitting in a bus with them one last time. she wanted to put her family first but the reality of it, was that her family was forever and her job could disintegrate before her.

violet waits the day away on her own, it seemed lately luna wanted to play pretend by herself. and finn didnt come back until violet was putting their daughter to bed.

she sits to lunas bed, reading a book for the hundredth time before finn barges his was in; silently walking over to luna to kiss her goodnight and tell her that he loved her. he hardly glances to violet, brushing past her in a mumble.
"i'll be downstairs working out."

"sure." she doesnt take much from it, as it seemed it was his routine most nights.

but as luna was long asleep, and violet having been freshly showered with her pajamas on; she felt it was strange that she was climbing in bed on her own.

so she carries herself down the flight of stairs, across the main level and down once more to the large basement of the home. walking past the clean dance studio luna had received, she follows the loud music down the hall and to the equipment filled workout room where he promised to be.

she opens the glass door, arms crossed to hold her warmth in as she stands vulnerable at the doorway. her eyes watch the treadmill bounce repeatedly under him as finn pretends not to notice. although she knew that he had to have seen her through one of the many mirrors surround the room.

"you've been in here for over two hours, finn." she calls over the music.

"so?" he continues on.

"i know our conversation earlier bothered you, and i want to talk about it."

he pauses the treadmill, finding his shirt that was tossed to the floor to wipe the sweat from himself. his heavy controlled breath becomes audible as he turns down the music flowing from the speakers.
"theres nothing to talk about."

"look, we're a team now. i want you to be able to talk to me."

he sighs out his exhaustion, glancing down to meet her guilty eyes.
"i feel like no matter what i tell you, youre going to do your own thing, violet."

"i told you why i cant-"

"-and honestly i think thats bullshit. youre a multi-million dollar company. i know how business works, you have more than enough in budget to hire people to take over in specific spots for a few months. but you dont want to do that, do you?"

"i dont want things running to hell with the company while im away. i wont be able to fix it when i get back if its too far gone."

"you think youre going to be able to fix your family when its too far gone?"

her eyebrows furrow,
"whats that supposed to mean?"

"i-" he takes a seat to the bench, elbows rested to his knees as he stares to the floor.
"i dont know. you've always had your priorities mixed up, i knew that when i asked you to marry me. i suppose i thought that maybe you'd finally  understand, but i cant be mad at you for not."

she watches him carefully, guilt filling her chest; weighing down her heart.
"what do you expect me to do?"

"i dont expect anything" he gets up to shut off the music, brushing past her calmly.
"i guess i expect you to be normal after three months without your family."

1180 wc