³⁷

wednesday night came rather quickly, luna back at her grandparents' house as they seemed to be the only people they were comfortable leaving her with given the past events.

violet had promised dinner with ayla, and finn still stood unsure. he missed her, he missed james who was another childhood friend that disappeared from his life in an instant. but he felt that he had let her down too often, he felt like he didn't deserve another chance at their friendship. he felt guilty.

nevertheless he pulls his dark washed jeans onto himself, tucking his dress shirt in to pull a grey sweater over it.

violet watches from the floor length mirror on the other side of the room, studying him as he pulls the collar of his dress shirt to sit over his sweater. approaching from behind her to return the stare.

his cold fingers find the zipper on the back of violets dark dress, zipping it up her naked back until he finds his arms wrapping around her stomach. the dress fit perfectly to her body, coated in bland tastefulness as it was her job to look nice.

she ignores his hold, smoothing her hands over her face to double blend what little makeup she had on. she was ready to have the good times back to normal, and she was ready for finn to know the news so that she didnt have to keep it in anymore.

eventually violet turns herself to him, adjusting the loose pieces that had fallen out of place within his curly hair. he inspects her concentrated face, taking in every aspect of her that he adored. this was the life he had always asked for.

"you are so beautiful, violet."

her eyes flicker down from his hair to the depths of his, a smile touching her lips subtly.
"dont spoil me like that."

he hums as the grip around her waist tightened, pulling her closer to him.
"what are your plans after dinner?"

"sounds to me like you already know my plans."

"youre sure we have to go tonight?"

she chuckles, pulling away to grab her beige jacket to put over herself.
"lets go, we're gonna be late."

the two meet them in the city, a roughly thirty minute drive from their home near the ocean and away from the chaos. it was a restaurant the two were familiar within the years living in vancouver; upscale but comfortable.

it felt in the motions to finn, and perhaps it was because he didnt feel like being there that night. it wasnt that he didnt want to see them, it was that he was afraid of the new unsettling feeling between him and his old friends that hadnt ever transpired before.

and unfortunately for him, they were placed at a table in what seemed like seconds after he left the comfort of his front door.

"hey you guys!" ayla approaches the couple that was already seated, james following behind as they were running a few minutes late; nobody seemed to mind.

"good to see you two." james smiles in sparkling teeth, his old frat boy aspects had left nothing but subtle features.

"yeah you too man, i miss you guys." finn swallows his pride to spill the truth. he knew he shouldnt have expected the worst from them but something couldnt stop it.

ayla reaches across the table to finns hand, squeezing it with a smile.
"we missed you, finn."

his heart settles, its radiating pace dropping back to where it should be as he takes in the gentleness in her tone. she was peaceful, and he had missed that.

they clicked, got along between the four of them as if they hadnt lost any time. the food was mediocre against the time they were having. talking about what was to come instead of what was; it was refreshing to each and every one of them.