Chapter 44: Smiles

Jennie's walking to the chief's room while holding a file. When she grabbed the doorknob, she saw Lisa walking towards her. She nodded and they both gets inside the chief's office.

"Good afternoon, chief." Jennie bowed to her.

Lisa closes the door and sits beside Jennie.

"Before anything else, congrats for the promotion. Especially you, Miss J. I recommended you to the higher rankings and let them study your files and your works. They'd considered it and decided to promote you too eventhough you only got hired 5 months ago in the department."

Lisa smiles and looks at Jennie.

"Thank you so much, chief." Jennie bowed to her again.

"Anyway, about that file. Somebody reported that he found a body at the park. The officer who happened to answer the call got flustered because the caller was a young boy. The officer immediately reported and so, I called you two."

"A young boy? Heol." Jennie mumbles.

"Yeah.. so, I'm giving you this case and start working now. Go to the park and check on it. They said the body is still there. I'll send some officers to follow you to the crime scene."

Jennie and Lisa stood up and bowed to the chief. Then they immediately grabbed their things and went to Jennie's car.

•••••

"Gosh!" Jennie closes her eyes and faces Lisa when she saw the gruesome body of the victim, struck by a bow in the eye.

Lisa just chuckles and rubs her back.

"Why did you choose to be a detective when you're like that.. you know how we work, babe.." Lisa teases her as she looks at the victim.

"It's my passion. And I never thought how wild the killings in Korea can be. In New Zealand, mostly poisoning, got stabbed or shot, or anything like that but here? Shot by a nail gun on the head, and that.. oh my goodness.." Jennie couldn't look at the victim.

Lisa laughed at her but then saw something near the tree where they found the body. She looks at Jennie while holding a crossbow. Jennie looks at it and then glanced at the victim again but for just split seconds and then nodded.

"Who would even leave the murder weapon in the crime scene.. this killer is no joke."

"No shit." Jennie replied.

Then they continued their tracks.

"But to be honest, I remember that kid." Lisa mumbles, referring to the victim. Jennie looks at her.

"He caused us some troubles before. But still, nothing to deserve this." Lisa utters while shaking her head.

"Babe, can we clean up the body already? Just.. tell them to bring the body to Bom unnie already." Jennie utters to Lisa while scrunching her face. Lisa chuckles again and nodded.

She asked for the officers' help and they cleaned up the body. Lisa heard Jennie sighed. She looks at her and caressed her shoulders.

"Aigooo.. how did you manage to be a Deputy Chief.." Lisa chuckles. Jennie just hits her arm lightly and glared to her.

Then both of them saw a kid not far away from them, crying. Jennie looks at Lisa.

"Maybe he's the kid who reported the body. Gosh, Lis.. he's so young. Imagine what this could caused him." Jennie utters while they walk closer to the kid.

"Hey boy.." Jennie calls him softly and bent in front of him.

"Are you the boy who found the body?" she asked anxiously. The boy nodded as he cries.