Change is good, sometimes

"So, he was like in the house?" I looked up at Bev who was leaning against the door frame.  My eyes uncontrollably rolled at her as I dug around the cupboard a little while longer. 

"You gonna need to stop with that."

"Oh, sweets, it's not going anywhere. I just want to know what happened? I mean besides the fact that, you know, he mentioned you were attacked." I thought for a second and I knew exactly what she was thinking.

"It wasn't my dad, okay?" My hands grabbed what I needed but maybe if I stayed like that she would walk away without more questions. Except I was completely wrong. Like completely. Because she sat down, on the ground. She was half in the hallway but she was staring right at the cupboard door. I stayed hidden behind the door and continued to search for nothing.

"I just want to know. Come on, you have to give me something good in life. I swear to god, if you don't."

"He kissed me!" It just came out. There was no stopping it, there should have been. But it just fell out. The horror of looking Beverly in the face washed over me. She slowly pushed the door against my leg and I knew the only choice I had was to move my leg so she could shut the door and look right at me. Her face said so many things. But one of them was proud ness, which did surprise me.

"There are so many things I want to say right now."

"Then let me do the pleasure so you don't have to say anything." I tried to stand up but she pulled me back down.

"Uh, not so fast."

"Fine..." I told her what had happened but it was pretty summed up.

"...Can we cut your hair now?" She looked like a proud mom and also the best friend who was ready to fu-fill the best friend roll.

"Yeah, but, this will be further discussed."

"Okay, whatever." We left the bathroom and got to the kitchen and Bev sat down while I spread a towel and clipped it at her neck. 

It took about 10 minutes but I had finally cleaned up Bev's hair. I looked at her fiery hair and decided what was about to come out of my mouth would be the truth.

"Maybe we should both go for a change." She whipped around in the chair so she was looking at me.

"Are you trying to hint at something?"

"Yeah, I guess. I mean change can be good, Bev."

"Your hair is one of the most sacred things you have, that's what you say."

"Look, this could be good. And the more I think about it's been getting me into some deep stuff, so, it gone, I guess could be a good thing." A soft smile spread across her face and I was glad I had Bev by my side. I could say anything and she would know exactly what I was talking about. It always crosses my mind on how I got lucky with having her and being able to bond. Not only did I get a best friend I got moral support that goes both ways.

"I'm proud of you, this is a big deal." Bev grabbed my hand and stood up. I sat in the chair.

"Why are you sitting? You know where the bathroom is, and this happens to not be it."

"Change, Bev." I grabbed the scissors and handed them to her. She looked and the scissors in shock.

"You want me to...Cut it?"

"Yeah, who else would?"

"You always cut your own hair. Always. What-I don't even know what I'm doing."

"I can talk you through it." 

"You can't even see!"

"Bev! Change! I am putting trust in you. Cutting hair isn't even that hard."

"That's what every girl says before they cut there own bangs the day before pictures."

"It's summer."

"I don't think you're seeing the point!"

"Beverly, you've overcome so much. This is barely a pebble in the road. Plus, it's gonna be some good memories."

"I can not believe you right now, honestly." I handed Bev the towel and she drapped it around my shoulders and pinned it. 

"Uh, how do you want it cut?" She asked shakily.

"Hm, above the shoulders. However far up you want."

"You're putting a lot of pressure."

"Bev, it's either you do it or I go break into Rich's house and have him cut it. Which results would you like to see me survive with more?"

"What happened to you cutting your own hair!?" I scoffed.

The first cut was a little shaky. But, hey, Bev got it. She was able to do the whole thing. Plus I got to be right because it will be memories to hold forever.

"Alright, we both get to the big reveal."I told her and we both walked to the bathroom, hand in hand. Both of us bowed are heads down as we stepped into the bathroom. 

I stood on the right side and Bev stood next to me. 

"One...tw-" Beverly bursted out into a fit of laughter. She was uncontrollably laughing and soon I was laughing along side her. We both could barely breathe. It stopped when we ended up both glancing at the mirror. Bev smiled at her and I gasped at mine. My hand slowly rose to my mouth as I looked at myself. 

"Please tell me that you like it." I waited a minute and I could tell she was getting down on herself.

"Bev, I love it!" She brightly smiled and wrapped her arms around my shoulder as we stared at the mirror. My hair stood above my shoulders and it was the first time it had been like that in years. It had ocean breeze curls. Even though I had never been to the ocean I'm guessing by the t.v.

"So, when did your hair start to curl on it's own? Because I know you don't own a curling iron." She wasn't wrong.

"I don't know, around when school was ending it just went that way, even after I brush it."

"Strange." She walked out of the bathroom and I followed close behind her. What she ended up doing was grabbing the broom.

"You don't have to, Bev."

"Uh, yeah, I do. You can even try to stop me." She continued to sweep and I grabbed the scissors and other supplies and put them in the bedroom.

We finished up within a few minutes. The floor looked brand new. Almost like two girls didn't just cut each others hair.

"Bed time?" I asked.

"Yeah, I think imma clock out for the night." We walked into the bedroom and fell asleep almost immediately.