Chapter 12: Run

"Shit..."

Then it came again.

The noise. The ever dreaded noise.

The group listened.

And they ran.

Simultaneously, they all stood up and sprinted for their lives. Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's arm, the boy frozen in fear and shock, and stumbled out into the daylight, followed by all the others, and they took off towards towards their new, so-called home. He didn't remember how far away it was, but it's the only place they could go.

Glancing back at the boy in tow, he saw over their shoulders a giant mass of movement. The streets were flooded with bodies. All of the city's population that was hit seemed to be converging on the single, wide street.

"Holy fuck!" Namjoon yelled as the crowd began to gain on them. From the alleyways, Taehyung could see shadows moving in the darkness, surging towards the light.

"We can't make it! We need to hide!" Jin screeched. The eldest was pulling up the rear, herding them towards an unknown destination.

"Where the fuck do we go?!" Yoongi screamed back, all silence forgotten.

The group continued running, but the tide of the dead was closing in on almost all sides. They didn't have too much time to think. "I know where to go!" the eldest yelled, determination scrawled across his face, "In about two blocks, there's this old school! We need to get there!"

Taehyung nodded, remembering the school when they made their way to the weapons store. He sped up, Jungkook still in tow. Jimin was running beside him, and Taehyung knew his best friend was thanking his dancing career for keeping him in shape. He spared a glance behind them, and saw Yoongi and Hoseok running next to Namjoon, Jin right behind them. Taehyung knew the look of exhaustion, which was sprawled across their faces.

We can't do this for much longer...

The group twisted around a corner, the school now in sight, and hightailed it to the doors. Shit, what if it's locked...? Endless possibilities filled his head as they neared the towering, abandoned building.

Suddenly, a giant horde of the monsters rounded the opposite corner, funneling straight towards them. The alleyways were overflowing with the desperate zombies, eventually filing out of the thin, enclosed walls. We aren't going to make it. Suddenly, he felt a tug on his arm, and watched as Jungkook surged past him, grip slipping down to now grasp Taehyung's hand. He basically flew towards the doors, reaching them quicker than they thought was possible.

The boy pulled open the door, loudly sighing in relief as it opened. Looking back, Taehyung emitted a strangled cry. The others were further back than he thought. The wall of death seemed like it was going to swallow them whole. Taehyung slung his crossbow over his shoulder and easily loaded the first bolt. Raising it, he aimed for the one zombie that seemed to be leading the pack. 3...2...1...

The bolt hit home, causing the target to stumble and collapse. He watched as the other zombies tripped over the dead body, tumbling over each other and losing their footing. Taehyung smirked, observing the gap between the living and the undead slowly widening. "Nice shot," Jungkook's raspy, breathless voice spoke besides him. Taehyung looked away from the youngest, thankful for their red, sweaty faces, so that the boy couldn't see his blush.

"Come on! You're almost there!!!" The youngest screamed at the struggling group. Jimin now had Yoongi by the arm, and Hoseok was basically dragging Namjoon and Jin by their hands, both struggling to keep up.

Yoongi and Jimin sprinted through the open door, the trio close in pursuit.
So close.... so close! They're going to make it!!!

Taehyung began to smile. The wave of zombies was too far behind, and he began to relax. He turned his head to smile at Jungkook when he heard a strangled cry.

The boy whipped his head back towards the group to see a purple flash of hair dart behind Namjoon. It seemed to happen in slow motion. Taehyung watched as Jin shoved Namjoon away from a singular zombie that somehow escaped their notice. Hoseok and Namjoon tumbled forward through the door, the force of Jin's hands almost knocking them down. He watched as the zombie clamped down on the oldest's arm, right below the elbow.

Several things happened at once.

Jin screamed a bloodcurdling cry, throwing his head up in the air as the monster bit into his flesh. Namjoon tried to run back, snarling as Hoseok held him, both screaming and sobbing. Yoongi stood, frozen in time, and Jungkook collapsed in shock.

Taehyung made eye contact with Jimin. Tears threatened to overflow his best friend's eyes. Taehyung turned back towards the outside of the doors, watching the wave of monsters quickly approach and Jin attempting, weakly to fight off the thing attached to his arm. The boy had no clue what to do. He was completely conflicted.

Finally,

Taehyung made his decision.

————————————
Hiiiiii~ hope y'all are doing amazing!!! Sorry my posting is so random, school sucks lol! Love you all and see you eventually~