Chapter 9: Jimin's Tale (Yoonmin)

(This explains what Jimin was doing while Jungkook and Taehyung were being attacked. It also explains what exactly Jimin went through before he met up with Taehyung)

-flashback to the beginning of the night-

Jimin woke with a start, sweating. He hated his nightmares, and he always had them. They just never went away. He glanced at Taehyung's bed, but realized it was empty, covers were thrown towards the end of the mattress. A short spike of panic filled him, and he prayed that his friend was okay. He kept having to remind himself that they were safer than they ever had been. That he could relax for once. He didn't have to put on a brave mask every morning, and Taehyung didn't have to either. He laid back, trying to return to the arms of sleep, but it didn't come.

Throwing his legs over the edge of the bed, he stood and slipped on a sweatshirt that Namjoon had lent him. It was huge, and that was why Jimin loved it. He sunk into the warmth of the jacket and imagined as if he was back in his mother's arms again. He shook his head, disturbing the memory, and reached for his walkman, placing the headphones over his ears. He walked out of the now empty room, and headed towards the stairs that led up. He needed fresh air. Jimin felt as if he was suffocating, and he needed to get out and think. He wanted to see the stars. One of the few good things about the disease was that the power in most places went off, leaving the sky completely illuminated by the stars and the moon.

Jimin walked up each flight, quietly in his own world, until he reached the door that led to the roof. Smiling, he pushed the door open and was welcomed by the embrace of the cold air. Closing the door behind him, he ran to the edge of the building. He looked out over the dark city and closed his eyes, enjoying the breeze ruffling his hair, as if it was blowing all of his masks, worries, and scars away. He looked up to the stars, smile widening as he made out all the different constellations and planets. The boy sighed and completely relaxed, enjoying the solitude and isolation on the rooftop, above all the problems of the real world.

"Damn, I was finally alone tonight."

Jimin jumped out of his skin, quickly twisting around, looking for the voice. From the darkness emerged a figure, wearing all black. His blonde hair seemed to glow in the and, and Jimin sighed. However, he didn't respond, just glared. He watched Yoongi slowly walk closer until he was directly in front of him. Jimin leaned against the short wall behind him, it being the only thing that stoped him from falling off the edge. Silence enveloped the pair as the night continued on and they remained.

"What are you doing up here?"

Jimin looked back up to the stars and sighed, slipping his headphones off. Might as well tell him, "Nightmares," he shrugged, moving his eyes back to Yoongi's, "I have them all the time, but I normally woke up from them and then take the watch from Tae or something. Now I actually have to deal with them, and that's not high on my priority list. I decided to come up here to get some fresh air." He watched as the blonde moved to his side and lean against the wall next to him.

"What are they about?"

Jimin chuckled, shaking his head, "My family," he said it without really thinking, shocking himself. Why was he telling this stranger about all his problems? Taehyung didn't even know what they were about, so why should Yoongi?

The older scoffed, "Well you can't just leave me at that..."

Jimin rolled his eyes, shrugged to himself, and explained, "So you remember when Taehyung was telling our story?" Yoongi nodded, and Jimin continued, "Well, he kind of skipped the beginning part. My family heard what was happening on the news, so we started to pack up our bare essentials and pack the car up. We weren't idiots; we knew what would happen if we stayed in the city. My dad told us to pack our backpacks first. Food, blanket, flashlight, batteries, water... you know the necessities. We had those upstairs cause they were going in last. Well when we started packing the car, a giant..." he stopped, breathing hard. He never really told anyone the full story, and telling it now was as hard as living through it then.

He closed his eyes, deepening his breath, "A giant horde flooded the streets. They trampled anything and everything in their path. Any living, edible thing on the street was gone in seconds. My dad was outside when they saw him. My mom ran out after him before she was killed too. My siblings and I were in the house but," he paused, fighting the tears that began to well up, "but the windows smashed in and they were caught. They didn't have a chance. I watched as the monsters ate my family alive, tearing their... tearing their flesh from their bones." 

His voice caught in his throat and it took a minute before he was able to speak again, "I ran upstairs and grabbed two of the escape bags. I still remember looking down that staircase and watching as those... those things flooded the room, each fighting, trying to get a piece of my siblings. God. The sounds they make. The groans. I swear, they're carved into my head. I  got out using the skylight window in the playroom and climbed down to ground level. I had a motorcycle parked In the back, so I took that and drove to Tae's apartment. The worst part? The idea that I wouldn't have made it out of that house if my twin siblings weren't standing by that window." Jimin scoffed in an attempt to hide his failing voice.

"Basically you can imagine my dreams. My family, not only being eaten alive but becoming those monsters. The constant 'you left us' and the 'it's your faults'... God, I'm so weak." Jimin sneered, releasing a humorless laugh. He felt a wet warmth on his hand and he realized he was crying. He was shocked. He hadn't cried in all of the time he was with Taehyung. He didn't even grieve his family properly, brushing it off and saving it for a later date. He scoffed again, but let the tears fall, simply because it was the first time they ever had. After a few minutes, he glanced over at the boy on his left, looking for any possible reaction. What he saw was not what he expected.

Jimin expected blind pity. The face of someone who didn't understand but felt bad for you. He hated those reactions. What he saw was tears. The elder was crying, quietly. A feeling of warmth filled Jimin, and concern flooded in after. He moved closer to the blonde, slowly placing a hand on his shoulder, "Hey, are you alright?" Yoongi punched him. Not hard, but enough to where Jimin's arm stung. "Ow, why did you pun-"

"Why the fuck are you concerned about me? You went through all that... shit, and you're fucking concerned about me? God, what are you?!" Yoongi turned to the boy, wiping his tears furiously and stared straight at him. Jimin gulped at the intense gaze and felt a need to scoot back. "Listen Jimin. I'm not really good with words but I'm going to give it a shot. What you went through sucked, To put it plainly. I would say I'm sorry, but you've probably heard it too many times. But I do hope that you talking about it will help you sleep better at night," his voice grew softer with each sentence, "And I hope you continue to confide in me, and when all else fails, come up here and look at the stars. Because they can never leave you, and they're always there."

Jimin's eyes widened at the small piece of advice and understanding that was handed to him. He turned his head to look at Yoongi. Jimin never realized how simply beautiful he was. He stared at the older, taking a moment to appreciate the sharp jawline and high cheekbones, compliments beautifully by his cat-like eyes. He grinned, "Thanks hyung!" He whispered.

Yoongi whipped his head around to look at the beaming boy and wondered how the hell someone's emotions could change that quickly.

Then Jimin realized his hand was still on the elder's shoulder. He quickly drew it back, dropping it to his side. His smile remained as the tears dried on his skin. He turned his head up to look back at the points of light when Yoongi spoke again.

"Jimin..." he hesitated but earned a small hum from the boy in response, silently telling him to go on. "You don't have to wear your mask around me."

Jimin cracked. His smile vanished and he tore his eyes away from the stars to meet Yoongi's. He searched for a drop of humor in his eyes and found none. The tears began to flow down again and he nodded. They sat in silence as Jimin let his emotions drip from his eyes, staring out at the black city of Seoul.

"Hey, Yoongi-hyung?" Their eyes met again and Yoongi arched his eyebrow slightly, a sign for him to continue. Jimin cocked his head, letting a genuine smile tug at his lips, "Thank you." And if it wasn't for the dark, Jimin would've seen the elders face grow red. Their eye never left each other and they seemed to hold it for what seemed like hours. Suddenly, a sound climbed the building and hit the air with a loud crash. The two jumped to their feet, allowing space to separate them. The sound rang through the quiet city. Jungkook's voice began to ring out through the small walkie talkie.

(And y'all know what happens from here lol- I might do these everyone in a while so that you can get to know yoonmin better and so that I can fulfill my apocalypse ship needs)
____________________________
Yoonmin <3333- how are y'all 😊
~Hitta