Chapter 18: late nights

Taehyung started awake and looked around. It was still pitch black outside which meant it was the middle of the night. He shifted in his sheets, trying to find a comfortable position so that he could fall back asleep, but after some time of tossing and turning, the boy gave up. He groaned, rolling onto his back and slung his arm over his forehead. He was tired and yet he couldn't go back to sleep, what the hell is wron-

Taehyung froze. He heard a noise from somewhere within the building and he strained his ears to hear it again. It took a couple of minutes before he heard it again. Taehyung shot out of his bed and did his best to tiptoe out of the room, careful not to wake up Jimin. He knew that noise all too well, and he suspected he knew who was making it.

Taehyung glided through the small, dark hallway, listening carefully and slowly growing nearer to the noise. He didn't understand how the hell he heard it, considering it was on the other side of the floor. He passed Namjoon and Jin's room and eventually Yoongi's and then Hobi's, stopping at the end of the hall. He halted in front of the door, put an ear to the wood and listened. He heard labored panting and muffled groans, and if they weren't currently in the middle of an apocalypse, Tae would've walked away right there. But, they were in the end of the world and he knew Jungkook didn't feel that way towards any of the others in the group.

Taehyung gently pushed the door open, wincing slightly as it creaked loudly, ringing through the hallway. "Kookie?" he popped his head inside the room, eyes landing on the bed. His heart shattered when his eyes adjusted to the darkness and registered the broken boy. The covers and sheets were thrown across the bed and draped on the floor, some tangled around the boy's legs and torso. Jungkook lay there, curled in a ball and arms wrapped around his legs tightly. He shivered as he slept, jolting slightly every once in a while.

"No-no. Please don't- No!" Jungkook rolled again, squeezing his eyes shut and curling in on himself even more, which Taehyung didn't know was possible. The older rushed to his side and kneeled beside the bed, placing a hand on Jungkook's shoulder.

"Kookie? Hey, kookie, it's okay. I'm here now," he whispered, stroking the boy's arm lightly. Jungkook didn't wake up but he quieted down a little at the sound of Tae's voice. He uncurled a bit, relaxing into the springs of the mattress. He still shivered though, so Taehyung stood and walked around the bed as quietly as possible, gathering the blankets and pillows strewn across the room. He brought them over to the boy, laying the covers over his shoulders and tucking the pillows around him. "I'm here love, no one's going to-"

"Ah!" Jungkook cried out, thrashing around and twisting the blankets around his legs.

"Jungkook!" Taehyung cried, crawling onto the bed, enveloping the younger boy in a tight hug, restricting his movements. The older rocked back and forth gently, stroking the younger's sweat-drenched hair and whispered assurances.

"You're okay love, I've got you. Nothing's going to get you, you're safe. Taetae's got you, it's okay baby," he whispered, gathering the blankets again and wrapping them around the younger and himself. Jungkook quieted again, lying still. For a second, Taehyung thought he continued to sleep when he shifted in his arms.

"Tae... Taetae?" a sleepy voice emanated from his tired form.

"Hey, love. You were having a nightmare. I've got you," Taehyung whispered back, continuing to rock soothingly. Jungkook shifted, wrapping his arms around Taehyung's waist and burying his head in the crook of his neck.

"I'm sorry." Taehyung frowned, running his hands through the younger's hair.

"Why?"

"For bothering you."