Chapter 16: Sleep

hi... 

---------------------------------------------------

Silence.

At this point, the group's reactions were hardwired into their brains. Taehyung twisted around, trying to see if anything was right behind them before taking off. The group sprinted towards their haven, slowly gaining ground as they tried to outrun death.

Taehyung didn't have to look behind him to know what would soon crash around the corner. They had already seen it the day before. The tsunami of bodies that would flow through the streets, lapping at their heels and nipping at their shirts, would take over the silent city. He dragged Jungkook behind him, refusing to let go of the younger's hand as they tried to keep up with the group in front of them.

They watched as Namjoon and Jin shot out into the open street, heading straight for the shop and throwing the door open wide. They turned to the rest, eyes widening at something over the pair's shoulder. That's all Taehyung and Jungkook needed to sprint faster.

Hoseok shot through the entrance first, quickly followed by Yoongi and Jimin. Jin darted into the doorway and stopped on the other side of the glass, waiting for the last three to make it in. Namjoon was waving them towards him, faster, faster. Taehyung spared a precious millisecond to shoot a look over his and Jungkook's shoulders, only to turn back around and quicken his pace, which even he didn't know was possible. He felt as if the non-existent breaths of the undead washed over his neck as they slowly gained on the pair. 

With one last burst of energy, Taehyung shot through the door, Jungkook in tow, and toppled to the floor. The youngest collapsed down next to him and they heard the door slam shut behind them, locks clicking into place.

The mass of bodies slammed into the walls of the building, sending small quakes through the walls and supports of the small rooms. Taehyung was shocked that it didn't collapse right then and there, but it held fast, refusing to let anything knock it down. The 7 of them sat in silence, the only sound that was heard was their ragged heaves. Eventually, after they were able to somewhat slow their racing hearts, the group dragged their limp bodies up and headed towards the stairs, each returning to their designated rooms, the need for showers forgotten.

Taehyung collapsed onto his bed, springs digging into his back through the worn mattress. But He couldn't find it in himself to move to find a more comfortable position. He heard a faint creak and raising his head he saw Jimin had collapsed onto his bed, dried blood still caking his shirt from the amateur surgery. Lowering his head back to the mattress, Taehyung returned his gaze to the bare ceiling and allowed his eyelids to close. Sleep began to keep up on him when his mattress dipped and he felt an arm gently wrap around his waist. Opening one eye lightly, his sight landed on a dark fluff of hair, splitting slightly to reveal two dark orbs staring back at him, shining like they held the whole universe and all the stars in the sky. Shutting his eyes again, Taehyung shifted to where he could face the boy, wrapping his arms around his waist and pulling him closer.

"Hi Kookie," he whispered, exhaustion dripping from his voice.

Jungkook shifted in his arms, burying his head into the crook of Taehyung's neck. "Hi," he mumbled back. Taehyung shivered as the boy's lips brushed against his skin, sending warmth down through his body. Taehyung snuggled closer to the younger and Jungkook's soft snores soon filled the quiet room, slowly lulling Taehyung to sleep.