Practice Sessions (Part Two)

Primtalia: School of Sorcery
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Practice Sessions (Part Two)

"Are you guys as nervous as I am?" Vlad asked as we ate dinner.

"Not as nervous as I am curious about ______'s morning." Arthur answered.

"Like I said, it's only the lingering feeling. It really could have been nothing." I said, trying to assure him, but we had been over this once already in the morning and again during lunch. Each time, we were unable to land on a consensus or what could have been gained in a minute before the spell was cast on me.

"Looking at our clues, you did say you had breakfast with Darby, it would make sense since there were two sets of dishes at your desk.

"But I haven't seen him at all since then." I responded, though as on cue, he entered the dining hall behind his mother who looked to be ranting about something to him, and he, idly nodded along.

" I responded, though as on cue, he entered the dining hall behind his mother who looked to be ranting about something to him, and he, idly nodded along

"I'll go ask him to come over!" Vlad said, jumping to his feet and heading off before Arthur and I could agree or disagree with him.

I put my head down, feeling as though this was all being blown out of proportion. Could he know anything anyways? Or perhaps he had just brought me breakfast and I, feeling tired from my potion-making so early, and on a full stomach just got sleepy and he left quietly so as to not disturb me.

"Hello everyone!" Darby waved as he approached behind Vlad. The two boys took a seat and Arthur was quick to cut to the chase with, "Did something happen this morning in the potions room?"

Darby's grey eyes widened as he looked from him to me to Vlad then back to him, "W-What do you mean?"

"I guess what he's trying to say is," I said, forcing a smile so that this wouldn't feel like an interrogation. "Do you remember if anything odd happened?"

He rose his brows, considered the question for a moment before shaking his head, "Not really? Why? Did something happen that I missed?"

"Well," I huffed, "I remember you brought breakfast for the two of us and then I remember talking for a while... But then I feel like there's something missing between then and when I opened my eyes again because you were gone, and my potion was burning."

He pressed his lips together as he thought back also, "I remember running to grab breakfast... Talking... Then the door closing... I suppose there does feel like there's something missing between then and when I also 'came to' I guess? Because I felt like I had blinked and missed something and you were really quiet, staring at your potion, so I said I was leaving, and you didn't say anything still."

"The door closing. Perhaps someone had entered the class with you two?" Thought Arthur, "If they did, and they cast the forgetting spell we know, then that could explain it!"

"I don't know... That sounds kind of like a stretch given I am still a teacher's kid and most people acknowledge that and they leave me alone for the most part." Said Darby as he frowned as though trying to force the lost memories to return.