Twenty-Five

There was no way in hell that Skylar would leave the Grounder alone with Bellamy or Vince. She doesn't trust either of them to harm the man any more than they've already done. It would have been weird for Skylar to say that Bellamy and Vince got along this once, but she was so focused on protecting the man for Octavia. She left the camp yesterday to take a breather and got back to talk to Octavia. The girl told her how the Grounder is able to speak English because he thanked her when she was cleaning his wounds. She made Skylar promise not to tell anyone, which she agreed instantly.

The Grounder still had some leftover dry blood on him. Skylar, ignoring Bellamy's protest, decided to at least clean him up a bit. She ignored the burning stare at the back of her head. Bellamy flickered his eyes between her and the Grounder. He was sitting down but his hand was around the small knife in case the Grounder does try to anything to her. It's killing him that she hasn't spoken a word to him since that day. He knew she could go weeks, maybe even months, without talking to anyone. He also knew that what they did needed to be done. The people they are and the people they had to be to survive...two completely different things. And it was up to them to decide which person they are. And yesterday, they were on different sides.

The hatched open and Vince came in. "Did you talk to the Ark?" Bellamy asked him.

Vince's eyes glanced on Skylar, who's not talking to him. "I told Digg's mom the news, John's dad. I'm supposed to talk to Roma's parents later."

In that hour, Vince had to deal with the tears of the parents when they found out their children were dead. One mother let out an ear-piercing scream before she held on to her husband and cried. Luckily, his dad was there to comfort them. But there was one comment from a parent that haunted him for that hour. Why does your child get to live while mine's died?

"Thanks for doing that. I owe you," Bellamy said, snapping Vince out of his thoughts.

Vince sighed as he placed his hands on his hips. "Telling all these parents that their kids were murdered by Grounders, I just wish I could say we were getting some justice."

Skylar paused what she was doing. "We're not killing him," her voice laced with venom. She looked at the Grounder as she cleaned his eye. "I promised Octavia I wouldn't let them."

The Grounder looked towards Bellamy and Vince, who were staring at them, before he looked back at Skylar and whispered, "Thank you."

Skylar gave the Grounder a light smile. Vince crossed his arms as he looked at his best friend. "Has she spoken to you?" he asked in a low voice.

Bellamy shook his head. "No. She just told me I better let her fucking in before she pushed the hatch wide open. She never left his side since." Bellamy sighed before he got up. "I'm heading out. You good watching him?"

"You mean make sure he doesn't hurt Sky?" Vince nodded. "I'll kill him before he lays a hand on her."