Chapter 29: Seoul Pt. 9

Jimin's POV

I hummed silently in my cell, trying to lull myself to sleep. The throbbing pain I felt all over didn't allow me to move much. An initiation is what they had called it

People who are incarcerated because of something similar to what I 'did', get treated like shit by their inmates. It doesn't matter anyway because I'm already broken.

"Hey, Park, wake up." The guard demands.

I simply hum in response not really caring about who I was responding back to.

"I said get up! Someone is here to see you." He said, banging on the rusty iron bars with his baton.

I silently get up. Every single prisoner had their eyes locked in my direction. A kidnapper. A rapists. That's the image that they had settled on when they only knew lies. Since the first time I set foot in here, I haven't been able to catch a blink of sleep.

It's all endless thinking, and thinking can be a pain in the ass.

All the memories we had made just stared back at me in mockery. The words we shared seemed to have gotten lost as our story progressed. Our last moment shared shattered in front of me like someone knocking down my trophy case.

I kept my head down, staring at the gray concrete floor. My eyes stared at my feet take one step at a time, stopped momentarily while the door opened, then continued and stopped completely. Taking in a deep breath, I prepared myself for the mysterious visitor.

When the guard left and I sat in my designated chair, I forced myself to keep my head down. I blindly brought my hand to the phone and waited for the person on the other side of the glass barrier.

"Hello, Jimin."

As soon as the voice rang through the lines, my head shot up in shock. Parallel to me, the boy, who haunted my thoughts, physically sat in front of me and wasn't part of my imagination.

  "Taehyung?" My mind slowly processed the being in front of me, but instead of seeing a beach at sunset, a monochrome sky stared back.

  "What are you doing here?" I breathed out in disbelief.

  "What happened to you?" His voice cracked in dismay. "Did the prisoners do this to you?"

I looked at him with dead eyes. I said nothing, and a dark aura unintentionally seeped out. My heart pumped out black blood as rage started to take over other emotions. No matter how hard I tried to keep it under control, the chains snapped and the beast was let go.

"Why are you acting so caring? Don't you have to be a good kid for your mother?" The words smeared across the once bright canvas formed into what was supposed to be our happy ending.

Flinching, Taehyung hesitantly responded. "I'm-"

"What? You're sorry? Sorry isn't going to fix a bleeding heart. Sorry isn't going to get me out of here. Sorry is just a word that tricks people into thinking everything will be okay." My voice slightly raised higher, but brought it down because drawing attention to us was not my goal.

He stayed quiet for a bit with his head down under my burning gaze. "I know what I did was wrong," he said quietly. "I know that no matter what happened it still my fault that you're here."

"I was scared." He continued after his brief stop. "I was scared you'd end up dead. I was so scared. I'm selfish and didn't think about what you would've wanted."

After hearing his reasoning, I had calmed down a bit, but that didn't mean the anger I had felt had vanished completely. Feelings of betrayal is hard to shake off. I opened my mouth to speak, but Taehyung cut me off.

"And I'm sorry, but I'm going to be selfish one more time. In a couple months, I'll be married to someone I barely know- to someone I don't love."

The news was so sudden. Betrayal and sympathy weren't the only feelings I felt anymore. I felt so confused and burdened with so many, and the concoction of these emotions made me go blank. Empty.

"So I'm letting you go." He chocked out. Tears seemed to stroll down his soft cheeks that I once touched. "It isn't right to still want you when your life is on the line. I can't keep giving you false hope that we'll have normal relationship when I'll be married against my will when you get released.

"I'm no victim here. I'm leaving you here all alone." He laughed bitterly and painful. "You're the one who deserves freedom out of the two of us. I'm just a coward. I'm not worth your love and affection."

I stood there watching him through blurry eyes, not even aware of my own pain.

"Goodbye, Jimin."

Those were the last words I heard from Taehyung before being taken away and watching his back distance itself further away from me. I didn't even notice I was back in my cell being asked about my poor state.

I ignored the calling of my cellmates and fell to the floor when they had enough of my ignorance. Without anyone being able to stop them, they started venting out on me.

But I felt nothing.

ㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗㅜㅗ

  A/N: Hey guys! I don't have school for the next three weeks or so which will serve as a nice break. Anyway, stay safe everyone!
  Thank you for reading!❤️

Date: 03/16/20
Word count: 926 words