Chapter 55

Russia was cold when they landed, it was heavily snowing and Ian cursed in all languages he knew when he saw her shaking.
"Fucking hell!".
"It's nothing, I wasn't born in Sahara".
He gave her a look and she smiled or rather tried to, he held her hand as they rushed to his car, she thanked God for the warm temperature, she sneezed hard when the car was opened again, Ian looked at her and sighed.
"Drive Koslov".
He pulled her to his side and she resisted, he looked at her, frowning, Karen smiled sadly.
"I might transfer the flu to you".
"I don't care, come here".

They travelled for a while and Karen thought about the last time she was in a car with him going to his house, he didn't even want yo hold her hand, he was so angry at her for reasons he's never provided.
She looked at him through her thick lashes and he looked back, "What?".
She just shook her head and leaned on him as the car turned to the corner hitting the road, he stroked her hair gently until his phone rang, he pulled away slightly and answered it.
She just started at him, he looked frustrated, angry and confused whatever was bothering him had to be huge, he was always on phone when he was troubled.
He hanged up and pinched the bridge of his nose, she at him, "What's wrong?".
"Nothing Karen".
Shit.
He rarely calls her Karen, it must be trouble.
"Ian?", she pressed him, trying him.
"Just...work okay, don't press me".
She nodded, for now, "Why...did you hate me?".
"I....have never hated you, you know that".
She wasn't buying it, "When you came to Paris....why did you..not love anymore?".
He took a deep breath, "I hated myself, for letting you go so easily, for putting you in danger over those crazy bastards who were after you, and I hated myself too bad because you were afraid of me, you hated me".
She swallowed hard, okay all that was true, he loves her now, that's the ice to the whisky, she leaned on him, seeking comfort or warmth, she didn't know, but it felt safe, secure and home.

She woke up with Ian's lips on her forehead, they'd reached home already, "Wake up, we're here".
She yawned and pulled herself out of the car seat, he walked ahead of her and she didn't understand what had soured his mood all of the sudden, did something happen when she was asleep?
They went inside and found everyone had gone to sleep, it was just the two of them.
She was now in her sleeping robe as he was finishing with showering, she looked at the woman she'd become in front of the mirror, she didn't smile, so many things had to be done and soon.
"Shouldn't you be in bed?".
She turned and looked at him, he was in sweatpants and a t-shirt, "I should".
"But?".
"But what?".
"But why aren't you?".
"I was just thinking...?".
"Are you asking me that?".
"Ian...are you trying to pick up a fight?".
"Why would I?".
"Why wouldn't you?".
He sighed as he finished drying his hair with a towel of which he threw after finishing,
"I'm going to work".
She nodded, he left her standing there,she sighed and went to bed after taking some painkillers for the cold.

On the next day she woke up with a headache of the century, she took a shower and took some pills, then went back to bed.
Lunch was brought to her and she just looked at it and went back to sleep, it was still snowing heavily, and she hoped it wouldn't stop,it was better to comfort her lonely heart.
In the evening her headache had lessened, she took a walk down the hall to where the dining was, she sat there and Ian arrived at the same time.
She looked at him and sighed, took the plate and served for herself, Ian sat beside her and called the maid to serve for him, they ate silently until he finally broke the silence.
"I heard you had a headache".
"Had".
"You should take some pills, it must be the cold, if it gets worse then it must be a bug or virus or-".
"Just...stop, okay, leave me alone".
"If you say so".
He finished his meal and stood up, dropped the napkin and left her at the table, she took a sip of her wine and smiled sadly, whatever.

She was combing her hair when he was busy snuggling into bed, she tied her hair and went to bed as well, his breathing was still strong, he wasn't asleep yet.
"I'll go to the city tomorrow".
"No".
"You can't stop me".
"I just did, it's not yet safe, stay here till I tell you otherwise".
"You're over reacting!".
"Stop yelling I'm trying to sleep!".
She sighed, pulled the duvet and forced sleep to take over her as soon as possible.