Chapter 30. Meet Up

Chapter 30.

"What?"

They both shouted in chorus.

Aani looked at us with confused suspicious eyes.

"What is she talking about?"

She asked Xander. And I can see his face turned pale.

"She is kidding. It's not like that."

I saw his Adam's apple moved up and down. He gulped down saliva from his throat, trying to calm down, looking at me with merciful eyes.

"What game you two are trying to pull now?

"Ask your lovely son. He is responsible for everything since the beginning."

I responded in annoyance. And he looked at me like someone was sucking off his oxygen. His face turned red.

"No. Its not like that mom. She is just kidding. Right!"

He licked his dry lips with his tongue. Another gulp in his throat.

"Stop it you two."

She raised her hand to signaled us both to stop talking at once.

"Xander! Tell me, what is going on?"

She turned her eyes towards Xander in an interrogative manner.

He blinked his eyes several times, trying to understand and control the situation.

"I ....   I really... Don't know..."

He spoke in almost whisper. That look on his face, was urging me to stop that mess I was dragging him in to, but I was way too angry at him for hiding, God knows what deep secrets.

"Sweetie.....what is it?"

Now its my turn to answer. I did what I thought was a big shot.

"He told you that we were going on a trip. But he cheated on me. When I ask him, he said he is breaking off the engagement because he love her too much."

I lied in a most effective manner.

Aani was looking in disbelief at him and he was shocked, not understanding what to say or how to explain that I was lying.

"Xander?? Is that true?"

She was so in love with her son that she asked him before completely believing to my lies.

"No mom! She is....."

He can't pronounce the word lying for me.

"She is just angry. Its not like that."

He was looking like a homeless person right now. I was satisfied with his expressions. At least he would tell me now to keep my mouth shut.

"And why is she angry?"

I can't believe Aani asked him that. She was not believing my lies but she was doubtful of him as well. Bravo!

"Mom!....."

He lack of words. He couldn't speak anything after that.

"I will do it. What you asked. Please tell her that what you said was not true."

He said to me, begged me. He was barely managing to not to cry. I saw his red eyes with chocking red face.
Feels like someone was strangling him.

"Promise?"

I needed to be sure although I was sure that he was not lying. He was making a deal and in front of his mom. He won't lie.

"Promise!"