Fireworks

Mar'i was excited for tonight. She had plans to watch the fireworks display on an abandoned car overviewing the cliff, ( it's kind off her hangout) at exactly 8:00 pm.

It was already 6:30 pm, Mar'i desided to go to the cliffs early so she have some time for herself, while she waits for the fireworks. She took the mini cooler and placed some soda and ice on it. The cliffs was a bit far from the house that she shares with her parents, so she decided to ride her bike to her desired destination. (since she is forbidden to fly while on civilian)

She puts on a black demin jacket and placed the cooler on the basket of her bike. She rode her bike all the way to the cliffs. But her plans on being alone for tonight was totally scratched. Someone already occupied her usual spot. He was wearing a black hoddie and he was sitting on the hood of the car, looking up to the sky. His hood was over his head, so she walked closer, ready to tell him to f*cking leave. But before she can say a word, a big black dog jumped over her. She tumbles and falls to the ground.

" Titus? " she said subconsciously. The dog kept licking her face and she tried to stop him but she was still in a bit of a shock.

" Titus?! What are you doing here? " she exclaimed, finally getting the words out.

The man heard her and caused him to turn in surprise. His face was then revealed. Shit. It's Damian.

" Damian? " she said, raising her eyebrow.

Damian took his hood off and ran to Mar'i.

" Titus! Down! " he said commanding, to which Titus listened to.

Mar'i was still pinned to the ground until Damian held out his hand, offering her help. She took his hand and stood up. He pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her. She paused and looked at it with utter confusion.

" Your face is wet. " he said, pointing to her cheeks.

" Oh."

She took it and started to wipe dog saliva off her face.

" Sorry. Titus gets...lick-y." he said, stuttering the slightest bit.

" S'all good. Not the first time..." she replied tugging a soft smile.

" So. Why are you here?" Mar'i asked after a long pause.

" I should be asking you the same question." Damian replied with no emotion printed on his face.

" Well if you must know, which you should. This is my fortress of solitude. My hangout. I discovered this place when I was practicing my flight, which was years ago." She informs, waving her arms around her, signaling that the whole place was her's.

Damian raised an eyebrow and just stared at her. Mar'i sighed in disappointment that he didn't get it.

" I'm here to watch the fireworks." she said rolling her eyes.

" What a coincidence. I'm here to watch as well." he said turning away from Mar'i.

Damian walked towards the car and sat there. Mar'i followed. They sat there in silence until Mar'i pulled out a soda from the cooler making the ice cause noise.

" What was that?" Damian asked.

" Um. Soda?"

Damian looked at her, then the soda.

" Do you want some?" she asked, raising her eyebrow at him.

He nodded in response as she reaches for another drink. She handed it to him and she opened hers. He stared at the soda, examining it before actually opening it.

" So. How did you know about this place?" Mar'i questions, breaking the silence and casually sipping her soda.

Damian looked at her up and down. He examined what she was wearing before answering. "I just discovered it. I was walking Titus when he ran up here."

" Is that so?"

They sat there in silence again. Mar'i peeked and saw Damian. He was just holding the soda, looking down at the cliff. He was agitated. She wondered why and wanted to ask him. She already knew the answer, that was: he won't tell her what's wrong. Damian would often share his thoughts with Mar'i, but before he would, she needed to force it out of him. She tried to read his emotion through his face. (a little trick her dad taught her) He looks troubled, more or less, but mostly agitated.

" Are you ok?" she asked, mumbling a little bit.

Damian looked up to her. He had always admired that Mar'i was so patient with him. Though she forces a lot of things out of him, but she would respect the word 'no'. Not a lot of people he came across with understood his stubborness. They usually jump to conclusions about his personality, and end up hating him. He thought this was totally unfair, but it was nice to know that one person understood him completely. This person, specifically speaking, this girl really made him see that it was ok if atleast one person saw his positive side. Mar'i really cracked through his hard shell of stubborness.

He tilted his head and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

" You look agitated." she added, also tilting her head slightly.

Damian didn't want to share, but this was Mar'i Grayson. She would understand.

He sighed. " Am I unlovable?"

" W-what? Of course not." She said, a little surprised. "Why? What's wrong?" she added.

" It's just... People hate me. Heck, even my family hates me. I try not care but.. It hurts sometimes you know. I tried to be a better 'person', but they don't really see that I try."

" How do I prove myself to them?" he added.

Mar'i sighed, already came up with something to tell him. " Your family doesn't hate you. Trust me, they don't. And your family are the only people that see that your trying really hard to change. I  see, that your trying to change. You don't have to prove yourself to everyone  Damian." she said, she held Damian's shoulder and smiled. Her smile was reasuring, warm, and soft. He blushed slightly and locked his gaze to her bright green eyes.

" You've already proven yourself to me."

Damian smiled. Rare. Mar'i's eyes widen a little bit, surprised that Damian was actually smiling, but she returned a smile. 'She so pretty.'  He thought. She noticed that He was blushing. Very faint, but noticable.

Suddenly, out of the blue, he leaned closer and pressed his lips against hers. Mar'i's eyes widen. Her cheeks tinted red. She finally processed the moment, closed her eyes, leaned in, and kissed him back.

Fireworks started, lighting up the sky with different colors behind them, as they share their first kiss.

End.