Quietly Dying

Warning:
                This particular part includes: suicide, self-harm and depression that may upset some viewers. Please feel free to skip this chapter if depression is a sensitive topic for you.

-

-

-

-

Damian had always despised his neighbor Mar'i. He always found her annoying and often invited him to play video games with her.

She was always giddy and optimistic and loved to make people she literally just met, 'friendship bracelets'. He never thought of Mar'i to be a depressed being, because she never showed it.

Another day has passed and Mar'i seemed distant. She hasn't been knocking on the door to asked his stepmother, Selina, if he was home because she wants to play a new video game she got with him. This was odd because it was literally her routine.

He thought it was weird to spy on her from his window, which he kept blocked by curtains. Her bedroom window was across his and he would take a peek of what she was doing. He would often see her studying because her desk was facing the window. He wanted to stop this weird habit but he enjoyed seeing her dance and sing in her bedroom. In honor of a friendship, -he did not ask for from Mar'i- he eventually stopped.

* * *

" I don't know. Maybe she knows you don't like her. Maybe that's why she's ghosting you." Colin said, laying down on Damian's bed.

His pacing back and forth and stops at the redhead's remark. " You think so? Do I push her away too harsh?" he asked, worried.

" Maybe. I mean, why though? Don't you like her?" His friend asked, sitting up to face him and gave him a confused look.

" I-i do." he admitted and blushed slightly. " But that's why I push her away, because she might find out." he added, pushing his hair back and fell down sitting on a chair.

" Well, maybe it's time you tell her?"

" W-what?! No! She'll think I'm weird!"

" Dude, I don't think so." Colin said and stood up from his sitting position. " I need to go. I still have some homework to do. Welp, good luck with that." Colin added and eventually leaving.

Damian sighed and had no clue about this whole thing. It was his first time having a crush on a girl and the girl was already avoiding him. He crashed to bed and buried his face to the pillow to block out his grunts of dissapointment.

* * *

A month has passed and he still hasn't heard from Mar'i. She was home alone. Damian got worried and decided to peek out on his window to see what Mar'i was doing.

To his surprise, she was crying. He hadn't seen her cry before. She was always happy and he never imagined her upset or sad. He noticed that she was holding a blade and her wrist, bathed in blood.

His breathing got faster as he realized that Mar'i was harming herself. Everything happened so quickly. Mar'i hung her bedsheets up the ceiling and continued to cry.

He acted quickly as she prepared to kill herself. He kicked the door open and jolted to her house. He muttered "Mar'i." at every step he took, praying that she hasitated to pursue her act.

He raced to room and knocked the door open. He saw as she was about to hang herself. Her eyes filled with tears and her wrist bleeding wildly.

" Mar'i what are you doing?!" he yelled and walked forward to assist her down.

" I-i don't know." she chocked. She took the sheets off her neck and stumbled down the chair only for Damian to catch her. To her surprise, he hugged her oh-so-tightly. She cried on his shoulder as he refused to let her go.

" I-i cant anymore." she wept.

" I understand." he said, rubbing her back for comfort.

They hugged until Mar'i stopped crying and he patched her wrist up. He was so worried that she could've ended her life and he could've witnessed it.

" Thank you. For saving me." she said. " I could have made a terrible decision." she added.

" Mar'i please, don't do that again."

" Okay...why would you care anyway? I thought you hated me."

" I never hated you."

" Really? Well, you're kinda hard to read." she giggled.

" I actually... Liked you." He said. " It was my first time liking someone and I didn't want you to find out so, I acted like that." he added.

" Liked?" she repeated and gave a small smile.

" I-i still... like you. Like a lot." he confessed. " I'd understand if you don't feel the same, I did act like an ass-"

He got cutt off as Mar'i pressed her lips to his. She pulled away that it was more like a peck. She smiled at him and he looked shocked.

" I like you too. Like a lot." she said as Damian pressed another kiss and left it at that.