Chapter 44

Lucero clicks the door shut, he stands on the floor and looks around the room to find the bed filled with his kids and wife before his eyes land on Molly who stands from the chair and approaches to him.

"They all fell asleep few moments ago" she whispers and he nods before he eyes the child on her arms.

"Leo" he asks and Molly nods before she hands the baby to him.

Lucero stares at the kid's face before he buries his face on the baby's chest taking deep breathes.

"They found Jessica...she is not awake" Molly's words make Lucero pause as he pulls him away from the child.

"Put him to bed, I will see to her" he states as he hands the child back walking towards the bathroom.

Pulling his clothes off his body, Lucero makes his way towards the shower to wash away the filth and feel clean. With his head down and hands on the wall he lets the water drop on his body, eyes closed and deep in thoughts he does not even make a move when arms wrap itself around his body.

"It's okay" Flora whispers as she kisses his back and Lucero clenches his hands as his body starts to shake and Flora's hold on him tightens.

"You are not alone this time" her whispered words break something within him as they slide down on the floor.

Flora turns his body around as she hugs him while Lucero cries burying his face on her neck, tightening his hold around her.

*******

"Why don't you rest for a while?" Flora asks as she watches Lucero pull on a fresh shirt.

He turns around buttoning his shirt before eyeing the bed, he shakes his head no and she walks towards him.

"You have not healed properly" she points out to him but he just smiles a bit squeezing her arm.

"I need to go check on Jess"

"But..."

"Mark is alone and he must be scared"

"Lu..."

"I will return as soon as I know what condition Jess is in, you stay and be with the boys and don't let anyone outside...

Your..."

"Go" Flora stops him and he sighs as he nods once and drops a kiss on top of her head before he walks out of the room.

*******

Lucero's entrance in the room makes everyone pause for a second before they all get back to their work. He looks around the room before making his way towards the boy sitting next to an unconscious Jessica.

"Mark" Lucero speaks as he touches the boy's shoulder and he jumps before turning his scared eyes towards his uncle.

Lucero braces himself as the boy jumps and wraps his arms around Lucero, sobbing and talking gibberish.

"It's okay, it's going to be okay" he murmurs to the boy to calm him down.

Lucero carries Mark in his arms and moves away from Jessica, he whispers few words to the boy before handing him to one of his servants and asking Mark to stay with the man before he makes his way back to where Jessica was.

"What's her status?" Lucero asks to the doctor as he stands next to Jessica's bed.

"Uh...well, she...she had some serious head injury and well you see..."

"Cut the crap and just give it to me" Lucero sighs as he eyes the nervous looking doctor who glances at Jessica once before he stares at Lucero.

"She is as good as dead, in another term a cabbage. She is not reacting to anything at all but the child that she is carrying seems like she is not going to give up so easy"