Chapter 14

~

THE NEW ADDITION TO THE CITY'S SUPER SCENE

Not much is yet known of the new party introduced to the superhero scene on Sunday night, but given our knowledge of Daredevil we can presume a few details on what she was doing picking a fight with one of our favorite local vigilantes. We all remember a few years back when Daredevil exposed a ring of corruption and greed underneath recovery and development plans for Hell's Kitchen, and sent the now notorious Wilson Fisk to jail. Given our devil's obvious desire for justice and intolerance of general wrong-doing, it's fair to assume he was on the trail of a new conspiracy. Though whether his current project is big or small remains to be seen. So what was our glowing friend doing at the docks, and what does this mean for Daredevil to finally have someone tough enough to knock him down that's not on his side? If Daredevil really is on the trail of a new "bad guy," it would appear whatever they're doing is important enough to find a new super to keep heroes out of their business. Or, perhaps, this time it was personal. Only time will tell.

-
You were going to be in so much trouble with A.I.M. Your stomach felt wobbly at the thought. You reread the article. The second to last sentence stuck out to you. Personal? How in the hell would it be personal? Was it supposed to be some kind of superpowered lovers' spat? You bristled. But, if you could find a way to make Black Light look like she had a personal agenda, it could throw off the media from A.I.M...

Your phone buzzed in your pocket as you stowed the paper in your purse again. It buzzed a second time as you were pulling it out to check your notifications.

A text from Stacy. She wanted to know if you had plans that night.

And a second text, from an unknown number. Please report to the offices in uniform tonight.

Oh, fuck.

You got home, where Stacy was making dinner.

"Hey! Did you get my text?" She smiled at you as you closed the front door behind you, wearing sweatpants and a tank top, round and soft cheeks framed by strands of her blonde hair falling from her perfectly messy bun. There was a pot on the stove gently letting off clouds of steam, and the window in the oven door was glowing a soft orange around her knees. Upbeat music was playing through the speakers in the living room.

"Yeah, I have to go in to work tonight. I've got time for dinner though, I know you're excited about the new pesto recipe." You hung up your coat and your keys, kicking off your shoes by the front door and then disappearing into your room for a second to put away your purse and plug your phone in to charge.

You emerged from your room. "Need any help with anything?"

Stacy shrugged. "Nah, the salmon is going to be done soon and I just have to drain the pasta and mix in the pesto. Do you wanna set the table maybe?"

"I can do that," you got out plates, and then set your charmingly banged up silverware out on the table.

The nice thing about living with a girl like Stacy was how easy everything was. She was the kind of person that got along with everybody, she always knew where people's boundaries were and often knew how someone was feeling and what someone needed based on their mood before even they did. She didn't ask you anything about why you suddenly had to go into work that night, which you were unspeakably grateful for. What were you supposed to say if she had? That you'd kicked Daredevil's ass and now it was on some minor news outlets and your new evil mastermind employers were probably really annoyed with you?

You both caught up with one another over dinner, and apparently meeting her sort-of-boyfriend's sister had gone well. Things with the two of them were starting to get a little more serious, and he wanted to take her out on his family's boat for the weekend.