1. Your Forever Is All That I Need

Andy POV

“This color is even prettier than I imagined,” Hailey gushed, as she glanced at the wall she’d just finished painting. A streak of light sky blue coated the white wall. 

“But still not as pretty as you,” I grinned.

“Wow, way to be cheesy,” she laughed, but gave me a sweet smile in response.

Warm summer air filtered through the window as the afternoon sun lit the room. We were spending the majority of the day transforming the guest room into the baby’s new nursery. I’d wrestled with the crib this morning, trying to figure out how to turn a pile of wood and screws into the cute piece of baby furniture we’d seen in the store. Finally, the cherry oak had transformed into the desired product and I had to admit I was fucking proud of myself. Now, Hailey and I were taking on the task of painting the nursery. We’d spent hours mulling over colors. Well, Hailey had, while I’d sat back and nodded and grunted occasionally. They were all fucking blue. I really didn’t understand the difference between the shades Ice Rink and Breezy Sky. 

Hailey had settled on the color Winter Water. I honestly wondered who the fuck picked these names. We both grabbed rollers and began painting away. Hailey turned it into a dance party on her part by dominating the iPod speakers and blasting Sleeping with Sirens. I’m sure our new neighbors appreciated it. 

We’d moved from our place in LA to a two-story 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom home nestled in a quiet gated community. It made Hailey happy to know that there was plenty of room for our baby to grow up and he’d be raised in a safe neighborhood, and I just liked to see her smile.

I felt a cold substance spray across my face and looked up. Hailey was smirking in front of me, holding a paint brush covered in the blue paint at her side. 

“Stop daydreaming and paint,” she commanded teasingly.

“Oh, you’re going to pay for that,” I said, brushing a finger across the blue paint that had settled across my nose and cheeks. With a swing, paint flew from my brush and across her top. Hailey gasped at me, and then it was war. Blue paint flew back and forth across the room, mostly hitting us. I couldn’t help but be thankful I’d had the foresight to put plastic covering over the cream carpet. 

By the time our paint war had ended, we were both practically coated in blue paint. My cheeks burned from laughing and my heart tugged at the joy in Hailey’s eyes. I fell onto the floor, my legs sprawled out in front of me in my sitting position. Hailey smiled, sitting down too, with a little more effort due to her 6-month pregnant belly. I pulled her close in my arms, nestling my head gently on her shoulder. Her hair smelled amazing, like some sort of meadow, with daffodils and wild grass. Hailey’s skin; however, smelled like me, since she’d run out of her Bath and Body Work’s shower gel and had to use my soap. I liked the scent on her. It brought out a possessiveness that I could usually contain. 

Hailey gasped lightly in my arms. I looked down as she turned and smiled at me. “He’s moving around,” she said quietly, placing my hand on her swollen stomach. It was weird to feel his little hands and feet pressing against Hailey’s skin. But, it was also one of the most amazing feelings. My little baby was really in there, growing. It mind fucked me. I was becoming a father. It was like an awakening every time I felt my little buddy moving around. It made me want to pick up parenting books and organize his nursery. My baby was inside my wife’s stomach and he would actually be in my arms soon enough. It made everything real.

“I guess Little Biersack liked the paint war,” I smiled.

“He liked it because his mom won.”

“Keep telling yourself that, starlight.”

Hailey laughed, before moving to stand up. “We should wash this paint off before it dries.”