interlude: influence.

"It's plenty of bread to be made, jit

"It's plenty of bread to be made, jit. You just can't be scared to make it." Tony T spoke into a young Divine's face flashing. Divine eyed his bottom row of teeth that was covered with flashy diamonds. Tony flashed a huge stack of money in Divine's face. Everyone Tony came around, he always was bragging about how much money he had, or jewelry, or women. Trying to convince young boys to join in on whatever he had going on.

The neighborhood knew exactly what Tony was up too. But the kids just saw him as a type of celebrity.

They didn't know how he became so rich and popular they just wanted in. He was a go getter by any means. He sold drugs, cars, clothes, CDs anything he could get control of. And wasn't shy about his profits either.

Tony stood up straight, sticking the money back into the back pocket of his over sized True Religion jeans.

"So what we gotta do?"  Prodigy, Divine's older brother asked. Divine nudged his brother for saying "we", "Shut up, man" Divine spat.

"What?" Prodigy eyed the stack of money in Tony's back pocket. "I'm tryna' be just like Tony. I don't know about you but I'm tired of being broke."

Tony T, laughed. "Y'all youngins' gone... go back in the house mane, y'all ain't tryna make no bread."

"I am, though! Man, I'll prove it. Just tell me what to do." A twelve-year-old Prodigy, retorted sticking his chest out. Prodigy, tilted his small head up to Tony looking far up at him.

Divine sucked his teeth, he was only 8. But was old enough to know, Tony was nothing but trouble.  Divine didn't like how he bragged about his money to his brother all the time, it was like he was trying to take him or something. Divine didn't know exactly why, but he wished Prodigy didn't talk to him. 

"P! Come on, mama calling us." Divine lied, his mother Charlie hadn't called for them yet.

But he was afraid.

"Stop being scary man, mama ain't call us because we all woulda' heard her loud ass. Now wait, I'm talking to Tony."

"Nah, Lil D right. Go in the house, if you too scared. I  only need soldiers on my team." Tony T shrugged, licking his big lips.

Prodigy smacked his teeth, "Man, D go in the house mane. Tell Mama I'm at Omar and them house."
"Man-" Divine started to convince his brother to come home but Prodigy gave him the look.
The big brother look.

"For real, Divine. Go home. I'll catch you later. Okay?"

Divine nodded, putting his hoodie over his head. He watched as Tony and Prodigy walked down the sidewalk and towards Tony's building.

That day was the day, Divine lost his big brother.

Not physically, Prodigy left Earth on his 22nd birthday.
But that day, in 2008 He lost his big brothers to the streets. After, that day Prodigy was barely home anymore, starting to get into more fights at school, talking back, and coming home with new clothes, feeling himself.

And at 16, he moved out of his mother's house when she began to nag too much about his behavior.

Prodigy loved his little brother, to death. And always took care of him until his dying day. He put him on to the game later on when he felt he was old enough to understand it. But that was the worst thing he could've done for his brother.

He showed his little brother the wrong way of living.

He showed Divine that, being a street hustler was the epitome of being a black man in the hood. That drugs, gangs, and grills was the best it was gonna get for little black boys like them. But the fact that the boys were seeing no other male influences other than men like Tony T around. Their only choice was to believe it.

Divine wanted to be different.. deep down he wanted to become something other than what he's seen.

He just didn't know it was possible.