Chapter 39

Dianne

It had been three weeks since we'd lost Tracey, and I couldn't get Joe out of his room. He kept blaming himself for her death. Saying that if he hadn't persuaded her to have the baby, she would still be alive.

I tried to explain to Joe that loads of women die of childbirth every single day, and her body wasn't strong enough, hence it shutting down and this was in no way his fault.

''Joe, sweetheart please come out. You need to eat.'' I sigh, running a finger through my hair.

''I'm not hungry.'' He replies.

''Joe, I know you. I know you are. Please, come out.'' I try once more to coax him out.

''I said no Dianne.'' I sigh, giving up. 

''Fine, I'll leave you some food outside this door.'' I reply, bringing him a plate of food up, leaving it by the door.

I didn't know what else to do. I felt so helpless.

I know, if I ring Zoe she'll know what to do.

I don't know what else to do, Zo. I was on the verge of tears.

Do what Joe does to cheer you up. She replies.

That's it. I knew exactly what to do.

That's it, Zo. I know exactly what to do. Thank you. I smile, thanking her one last time before we hang up and I put my plan into action.

/ / / /

Adding the final touches to my plan, I knock on our bedroom door. ''I'm not forcing you to come out, but I've got something that I'm hoping will cheer you up. Just when you're ready, open the door.'' I call, leaving the Post-it notes on the door, before going downstairs.

Joe

Sighing after Di leaves, I run a hand through my hair as I open the door.

My hand falls onto a piece of paper. Crinkling my nose in confusion, I see it's a Post-it note with the words

Ten reasons why I love you on it, before seeing she had stuck another ten notes on the door. I couldn't help but smile.

I don't deserve her. Peeling them off, I sit on our bed as I read them.

1.Your singing in the shower

2. The ability to make me laugh without even trying

3. Your eyes

4. The way you wake me up with kisses

5.How supportive you always are

6. How amazing of a Dad you are

7. Your heart of gold

8. The ability to make me smile when I'm down, you're my rock

9. How much the kids adore you

And 10. How you are the most selfless, most caring and loving person in the world. 

You Joseph, are my everything. Our everything. There are too many reasons as to why I love you, but just know I'll always, always be there for you. Through the good,  bad and hard times. 

Now, come downstairs for your final surprise.

Wiping at my tears, I place the notes in my pocket, as I head downstairs.