29. Final Goodbyes

ELSA

"So, that's the last of it?" Anna asked Hiccup as he dried out another animal of its blood.

He looked worse than before. He looks worse than me, except his ribs aren't broken. "It's all I can find with the strength I have left." He started. He's weak. He can't hunt properly. "Elsa could deliver as early as tomorrow." He said, giving me the cup. "If she's going to have any chance at all, she'll need more." He said slowly.

"And you need to hunt," I told him, trying to sit up a little. "It's been weeks since you've last hunted."

"You have to be at your strongest for her," Rapunzel said to him quietly.

He sighed silently, shaking his head. "I'll need to go tonight if I have to," He decided.

"No," I answer him feeling as if I needed to protect him from himself. "Hiccup, your not strong enough, you'll get hurt. You can't fend for yourself if you get caught up with the wolf pack," I reply to his decision.

"I have no choice, Elsa. If there's anything I can do to save you, I have to try." He said to me, shifting his weight uncomfortably. 

Merida looked at him for a moment. "You'd risk your life for her?" she asked.

"Of course I would." He said. "Elsa's my mate, I'd do anything for her."

It was Anna who seemed worried about what he was saying. "I can see that."

"I know what I have to do, even if I risk my life for her... And the... Baby" Hiccup replied to her, refusing to look at her.

He said it. He actually said it. "Go hunt," I tell him. "You need to, I'll be fine for a few hours."

He looked at me calmly. "You sure?"

"Yes. You need to hunt. You're going to be weaker than me soon."

He looked at me, briefly. "Okay."

LATER

It's been a few hours. Hiccup was still hunting. There was no telling how long he'd be gone, but I know it'd be a while since it's been weeks since he's properly eaten something. So, while Hiccup was away, we all decided to lay low until he returned. This was probably a good idea since this house was very undefended with him gone. 

Presently, I was in the parlour with a paper, quietly writing down some ideas that'd I want for our son or daughter. Rapunzel sat across from me minding her own business. Thankfully, Rapunzel told Hiccup she'd stay with me until he got back. That seemed to ease his mind a

Though we were silent, I heard the rustling of the others walking around. Looking up, I smiled as I saw Anna and Merida walk in.  "Hey," I say.

"Are you okay?" Anna asked me.

I nodded quietly, tapping my pen on my paper. "Yeah. I'm fine. What about you?" I asked my sister calmly.

"Yeah," Anna replied with a laugh. "It's not like I'm the one carrying a demon," She told me.

My face slanted, as I give them a look. "For the last time, it's not a demon," I say to her. "We're not sure what it is, but it's not a demon,"

"It's definitely something," Merida sneered jokingly.

"Don't be rude," Rapunzel butt in, standing up, walking over to me. "Why don't you tell Anna and Merida what you've decided?" Punz said to me.

"What? Now?" I ask her, suddenly feeling called out.