27. A Deal of Life or Death

A N N A

The next night was silent and uneventful. Rapunzel sat at the dining room table reading, while Merida sat across from Hiccup and Elsa shaking bark off of a branch. Elsa was passed out asleep on the large sofa. It was incredibly late now, and Elsa has little to no energy left in her body.

Hiccup silently sat behind the couch watching her, like a dog watches its pups. His left arm hung over the couch, while Elsa, in her sleep clung to his hand. Hiccup seemed to be dozing off himself. He appeared exhausted. As much as Elsa would disagree, Hiccup seemed quite content to fall asleep in the position that he's in right now. Slumped over an old sofa. 

As much as I'm not entirely happy with him, I know he can save my sister's life. She and the baby. Of course,  Hiccup has his moments, like when tried to kill Rapunzel, but I know Elsa loves him. Besides, Rapunzel explained that he's imprinted on her, basically meaning he can't leave her alone. He'll keep her safe.

I watch him gently stroke her hair, running his fingers through her hair. His eyes, locked on her. I can see his eyes fading. He looked tired. Hungry. Weak. Frail. Like he's been without food for months. It's quite true. Though he left the house for a little bit the other day, he actually didn't leave the property. He refuses to leave the area, so long as Elsa's here with her worsening condition. 

I looked over as Elsa moved a little, whimpering in pain as she moved over in her sleep. Hiccup glanced down, managing to calm her down. Elsa did settle, finding a position that she found comfortable.

"What just happened?" I hear Merida ask silently, getting Hiccup's attention. "She's in pain, why?"

Hiccup didn't look up, but he answered her silently. "It moved, caused another rib to crack," He answered as his eyes went to the IV needle he had in her hand. Thankfully knew what he was doing. I'm being honest. Anyone can try to help Elsa through this, but Hiccup knows what he's doing.

I heard him sigh faintly. "Hiccup. She'll be okay." I say to him.

He didn't dare look up. "You never know."

I think for a moment. Fresh air will clear his mind. "Hey, Wolfy! Can I talk to you? Outside?" I ask him.

He looked up slowly, unsure of it. "... Sure." He got up slowly as I go out with him. I closed the door behind him. We weren't entirely outside but we were on the balcony of the Equipment room. "What?" He asked.

"Is there anything else you can do?" I ask him about Elsa, trying to hold in my anger, though I know a lot of it is indeed fear.

He sighed. "Anna, I'm doing the best I can. It's not entirely easy when I can't see it." He said.

"Can you read it's mind?" I ask.

Hiccup raised a brow confused. " It doesn't work like that." He said.

"There's got to be something you can do. Her health is going down every second of the day and you can do anything about it!" I yell.

"I'm doing the best I can. Okay!" He snarled. "I've never had anything like this. I'm doing this from the top of my head. Everything else is a piece of cake. This. This is new." He said.

I calm down a little. "Okay."

"Look, Anna. I'm as pissed off about this as you are." He said.

"You won't understand. She's my sister." I say.

"Then clearly you don't understand." He said.

"What about?"

"I've imprinted on her. She's My life." He said.

"What?"

"Imprinting. It's a Wolf thing." He started.

"What's it even like? Imprinting?" I ask.

Hiccup shrugged glancing inside where my sister was sleeping. "It's like gravity. Your whole center shifts." He sighed. "Suddenly, it's not the Earth holding you here. You would do anything, be anything she needs. A friend, a brother. A protector." I look at him. "Imprinting doesn't just happen to anyone. We don't choose. It wasn't my choice." He said.

"Then why'd you imprint on her?" I ask.

"Before I imprinted on her. I loved her. I just didn't feel it until I imprinted." He said to me. "At the same time, we don't choose who we imprint on,"

I don't say anything to him. We stay silent for a moment. "So she really thinks you can save her?" I ask.

"She trusts that I can save her." He said. "She thinks I can turn her at the last minute, as I've done before.

"Can you?" I ask.

He shook his head. "Possibility is very slight," He answered me. "Not even I have that much control over this," He paused for a moment, leaning against the railing. "If her heart fails..." He trailed off, looking down for a moment as if his head was spinning.

It was then when I realized he'd do anything for my sister. By the looks of it, he'd risk his own health. He'd give his own life for her. "Look, Anna! I know you hate me, but I need you to do something for me," He finally looked up. I only looked at him, unsure of what to say. "And if you won't do it for me, do it for her,"

"Okay," I finally answer. "What can I do?"

"Anna, I won't ask you to forgive me for anything I've done. I wouldn't if I were you. But understand, I care for your sister more than anyone else in my life. Whether you decide to believe me or not, well that is your choice. But," He paused. Carefully, he pulled something wrapped in a silk cloth out of his pocket, handing it to me. He seemed to struggle to speak again after handing me the item. "If she dies... You get what you wanted. I want you to kill me,"

Fighting the panic, I look down unwrapping the item in the cloth. In my hands, was a large knife, freshly sharpened. "You want me to kill you, with this?" I ask uncertainly. 

The Wolf nodded. "Silver." He said. "You have the advantage. Silver will kill me." He added. "I need you to promise me,"

I wanted him dead because I thought Elsa had no chance. But now she has a small chance. He looked at me. I hold his gaze. After a moment, I nodded. "I'll do it," I say to him. "But if she lives,"

He cut me off. "We'll discuss that if or when the time comes," He said to me before giving me a respectful nod before slowly leaving me alone outside. 

I stay there for a moment lost in my thoughts. My mind takes over. Hiccup's serious now! He's as scared as I am. And now, he's surrendered his life to me.