Chapter 5. Slow Dancing In The Rain

🖤
What's important is this evening I will not forget
Purple, blue, orange, red
These colors of feeling
Give me love, I'll put my heart in it
🖤

Rachel Lynde has her eyes and ears everywhere. She is always up to date with all the things that happen in and around Avonlea. And so it was not surprising that she happened to pass a parking lot where two young people had just said goodbye to each other.

Gilbert Blythe and Anne Shirley Cuthbert.

Mrs. Lynde, who knows both of them very well has of course noticed how Gilbert looks at Anne whenever he is around her. Gilbert gives Anne the same looks that her husband Thomas Lynde gave Mrs. Lynde 40 years ago and still does today.

Looks full of Affection and Love. In the past, she has tried to match up her son Caleb and Ms. Stacey, but this failed miserably. This time everything is going to be different. Rachel Lynde had an idea and she would do everything she could to put it into practice. With that she made her way to Green Gables, where she and her friend Marilla Cuthbert wanted to meet for tea.

🖤🖤🖤

Marilla Cuthbert was just setting the table for tea when Rachel rushed into the house. "Marilla!," she said and went to the table to sit down. With folded hands she announced "I have wonderful news to share with you. Avonlea will hold a summer dance for the whole town."

"Oh my, Rachel can't you just knock or ring the doorbell before you come inside? Like every other person," Marilla asked with a stern look.

Rachel began to laugh and looked up to Marilla, who was just pouring tea. "Oh Marilla, you know how I am. I will never change," she declared laughing.

"Well, if you're already here," tell me about the summer dance. Marilla wanted to know more about that, while she served Rachel one of her famous plum puffs.

"Marilla you won't believe it. I suggested to the town council to organize a summer dance and it was approved." Rachel couldn't hide her excitement anymore."The best is yet to come. I was asked to take over the entire organization," she added with a smile, sipping tea.

"My, Rachel this is wonderful for you," Marilla responded and bite into her plum puff.

"Marilla!," Rachel said in an eager voice. "Is your Anne-girl still single?," she asked with curiosity that was all written over her face.

"Why do you want such information from me?," Marilla got up and paced around the table. With raised eyebrows, she told Rachel,

"Rachel Lynde, if you plan to play Matchmaker again, then may God have mercy with you."

"Hear me out Marilla," Rachel explained "You still don't know who I have in mind for Anne," she continued.

"Then tell me," Marilla commented and sat down again. Rachel took a sip of tea and then a deep breath.

"It's Gilbert Blythe," she blurted out.

"That's ridiculous Rachel. Absolute Fiddlesticks," Marilla announced while she shook her head in disbelief.

"You know how fond of Anne he is," Rachel reminded her friend.

"I'm not blind Rachel, of course, I know that, but I don't know if Anne feels the same."

Rachel got up and started helping Marilla clear the table, then she responded "I'll find out."

After talking to Marilla and informing her of the latest gossip, Mrs. Lynde made her way back home to start organizing the summer dance.