Chapter 16. Ghost Of You

🖤
And no one could feel your hurt
We're too young, too dumb
To know things like love
But I know better now
🖤

Anne Shirley Cuthbert sees ghosts.

In the past few weeks, she has been trying to distract herself. She wanted to forget the evening in September when Gilbert Blythe broke her heart.

Anne wanted to forget the moment when Gilbert tried to kiss her. It's not that she didn't want him to kiss her, it just wasn't the right place to share a kiss with him.

She wanted to forget the evening at the masquerade ball when she saw his lips pressed against Winifred Rose's.

Anne Shirley Cuthbert wanted to forget Gilbert Blythe.

But how can you forget someone whose ghost you see? How can you forget someone who sneaks into your dreams at night? How can you forget the one who broke your heart?

Anne has spent the last few weeks concentrating on her studies. She took on extra tasks to distract herself as much as possible. No matter how much she studied, no matter how much she tried to distract herself, her thoughts were always somewhere else. 

Her thoughts were always with him.

In recent weeks Anne has shed tears, silent tears that weren't audible or visible to her roommate Diana. Tears she cried under her duvet, wrapped in Gilbert Blythe's hoodie, cuddling with the red fox that he had won for her at the summer fair.

She cried over him.

Anne has started to write again in the past few weeks. She needed something to let her thoughts out, something to sort her feelings to understand them better.

Everything that came to mind, everything that was worth writing down on a piece of paper was about him.

🖤 The ghost🖤

I feel the feeling of your touch as if you would put your arms around me to hold me. 

On other days, I hear your voice in my mind as if it had stuck like a melody that won't let go. 

When I close my eyes I see yours.

I see your rigid eyes that have burned into my heart. Your eyes that have been engraved in my soul, that have manifested there, that aren't able to be erased.

I see and feel you everywhere, but you are not here. You are a ghost.

A ghost that won't let go of me and that I don't want to let go either.

Everywhere I go, I see the ghost of you

Anne had just written the last words of her thoughts into her notebook when her best friend Diana Barry rushed into the room.

"Anne, Anne have you heard it?" Diana asked excitedly as she sat on her bed.

Anne closed her notebook and turned to her friend. "What should I have heard?" she was a little annoyed by Diana's overzealous joy, which was also evident in the sound of her voice.

Diana noticed the annoying sound in her best friend's voice and saw her tapping her notebook with a fountain pen.

"Write to him, call him" suggested Diana, knowing that Gilbert Blythe has been responsible for Anne's bad mood lately.