Chapter 25. Lovesick

🖤
Like an endless fire burning
Like a hope that fuels the light
Like the hands that simply hold you, when words can't make it right
Like the first time that I met you, I fell so hard, so fast
Like that montage in a movie
Mmm, the way you move me
I wanna move you like that
🖤

Gilbert Blythe is sick.

Gilbert is lovesick because his whole being aches for her.

It is an ache that he feels, an ache that runs through his body, that settles in every bone and weakens him.

Words aren't able to describe the ache that runs through every vein in his body, touches his heart and makes him feel the feeling of cold and heat at the same time.

He feels lonely. It is a flood that has reached him, the waves of which have laid over him, made him feel a cold that makes him shiver, like every touch of her fingertips on his skin.

Waves that try to sweep him away to drown him in the cold of the loneliness he feels.

But he isn't going to drown in cold or loneliness.

It is love in which he drowns. Love for her that, in addition to the coldness of loneliness, lets him feel the heat of the fire of his heart.

The heart, whose fire burns every second for her, beating for her in a rhythm that composes a song about the craving for her whole being.

He craves for more than just a physical connection, even if the explosive feeling that was kindled on the fiery night two weeks ago when two souls, hearts, and bodies melted into one another overwhelmed him like no physical feeling before.

Gilbert yearns for the words that escape her lips, that describe her depths and heights, that express her every wish in sentences and that tell of all the fears that haunt her.

He longs to know every inch that belongs to her, be it on the surface or underneath.

Anne Shirley Cuthbert left a mark on Gilbert's heart. She left bruises shaped from kisses, touches, and words that weaken him.

Gilbert Blythe feels weak. He feels weak because she is his weakness.

The weakness that makes him strong at the same time.

🖤

Gilbert has not attended classes for two days. He couldn't attend class because he felt too sick, too weak for it.

"Gilburito!!!"

Gilbert's roommate and fellow student Henry Porter had just entered the room when he saw Gilbert lying in his bed.

"Go away. Can't you see I'm sick" Gilbert uttered in a tortured voice, pulling the duvet over his head.

He didn't want to hear what his roommate, who sometimes reminded him of Bash, had to say.

Just like Gilbert, Henry studies medicine at the University of Toronto. Both had met at the beginning of their studies in a lecture by Doctor Oak and became friends.

Henry approached Gilbert's bed. "Come on Blythe" He tried to pull the duvet off Gilbert's head.

"You can't lie here and think of your girl forever"

Henry had been annoyed by Gilbert's behavior in the past few days, not knowing that Gilbert's behavior was more than just lovesickness.

Henry wouldn't have expected what he would see. Gilbert was bathed in sweat in his bed. Beads of sweat ran down his forehead and the color on his face had faded.